Horror Movie Discussion #37 - The Cabin in the Woods

General horror discussion. Movies, DVDs, Blu-rays, TV, and Podcasts.

Any good?

Highly recommended
75%
Recommended
25%
Rent it
No votes
Skip it
No votes
Not seen it
No votes

Total votes: 4

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Anti-Spam Question: No

Re: Horror Movie Discussion #37 - The Cabin in the Woods

Post by Neon Maniac »

TGM wrote:I liked Cabin in the Woods when it was still just a shack. Although you probably never heard of that.
Did you burn your mouth because you drank your coffee before it was cool?

Do you hate rivers because they're too mainstream?

Do you love the subway because it's underground?

If a tree falls in the forest, and no one's around to hear it, did you buy it's album?
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

DJBenz wrote:
I think what you mean is, you thought the Japanese hadn't failed but now you're trying to cover up the fact by backpedaling. :)
:lol:

This is exactly what I was thinking!
Alien Redrum wrote:

Which I guess leads to another kind of question, if there's one supreme good (upstairs) and one supreme bad (downstairs), why different rules? Asian horror films quite obviously have different rules than US ones.
This is a good question, and one I've thought about.

First though, you have to get out of the one above and one below viewpoint. They referred to plural ancient gods below, so I'd guess there were multiple ancient gods above too. And looking at it metaphysically, they're not necessarily good or evil, just maybe in balance of each other? Maybe opponents, maybe not. We don't know. If the upstairs was sabotaging the sacrifices to bring the downstairs back to power, I would think it was more about balance than competition. Also, since the downstairs were content to sleep and take sacrifices, I think that points to non-competitive deities too. Maybe what we think of as Upstairs are just a bunch of gods that don't even care about us, so they leave us alone and ignore us, while downstairs are a bunch of gods that are fascinated by us, and so they are constantly messing around with us all the time, to the point that it feels like torture to us. Neither is really good or evil, right?

There are a lot of theological and philosophical questions wrapped up here.

Anywhoo..

Why different rules? Because the rules have to mean something to the people culturally. The Japanese may not care that 5 douche bag kids get killed in a cabin. 9 9 year olds may have a magical number component as well as causing the same emotional pain or impact for the Japanese as 5 douche bag young adults do to the US. I think that's all there is to it. Take a civilization like the Aztecs or Mayans that were sacrificing dozens of people a day. What's 5 more once a year to the old gods, right? So, that would be fairly meaningless and they'd need something else.

In other words, I don't think the sacrifices are about a physical blood or body count so much as the emotions extracted during the process of the sacrifices. And since each culture has different morals and values, stimulating those emotions is going to be unique to the culture. Maybe in the UK they just have to talk loudly during tea, or make fun of the queen's dogs.

Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed

Post by Alien Redrum »

Excellent write up. :up:

But it still doesn't really answer my question. :( :lol:

If the gods (or whatever) above were going to fuck it up anyway, why wait? Why not do it to the Japanese (since they succeeded first)? I mean, at the end of the day, we were obviously doomed to failure, so what difference does it make if it's America (fuck yeah!), Japan, Russia, whatever.
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Alien Redrum wrote:Excellent write up. :up:

But it still doesn't really answer my question. :( :lol:

If the gods (or whatever) above were going to fuck it up anyway, why wait? Why not do it to the Japanese (since they succeeded first)? I mean, at the end of the day, we were obviously doomed to failure, so what difference does it make if it's America (fuck yeah!), Japan, Russia, whatever.
Who's saying that they didn't do it to everybody? My understanding from the film is that while many countries do the sacrifice, technically only one has to happen to appease the old gods. So, who's to say that the Upstairs peeps didn't screw with *ALL* of the sacrifices, Japan included, to make sure all of them failed? I assumed the Upstairs had assisted with Japan in some way, because like the dead dad from 6 Feet Under said, how hard is it to kill 9 year olds?

I'm not sure what you mean by "Why wait?" It looked like all the sacrifices worldwide were happening at around the same time (give or take some for time zones). We see that Brazil, Norway and Spain had all failed and no sacrifice happened (I'm taking those to represent all other countries/regions however it works). It's down to just the Japan and the US, and one of those sacrifices must work. Japan's sacrifice fails, and so it's down to just the US, which also eventually fails. So, I guess I don't see where the waiting is in that procession of events?

Remember, every sacrifice has to fail worldwide for the downstairs to awaken. They say right at the beginning that the US failed in 1998. So failure obviously isn't uncommon or unheard of, it's just every sacrifice can't fail.

On a side note, I saw some interesting things online suggesting that the 1998 failure was actually the movie The Faculty, with a lot of great evidence as to why.

DJBenz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DJBenz »

Neon Maniac wrote:On a side note, I saw some interesting things online suggesting that the 1998 failure was actually the movie The Faculty, with a lot of great evidence as to why.
Mind = Blown. Now I have to watch The Faculty again.
Horror DNA on the web: www | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Instagram

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

DJBenz wrote:
Neon Maniac wrote:On a side note, I saw some interesting things online suggesting that the 1998 failure was actually the movie The Faculty, with a lot of great evidence as to why.
Mind = Blown. Now I have to watch The Faculty again.
Did you google it? When I first read it, I was like, "whatever". Then when I saw pages that had evidence, that was pretty interesting, because
Spoiler:
For me, I think most damnable evidence is that just like the pot smoker was immune in Cabin, all the kids who took Josh Hartnet's fake meth were immune to the alien in Faculty. And, they said that chemistry or whatever the dept was called was the weak link then, just like it turned out to be in Cabin.

Spez
James "Jeff" Ferguson
James "Jeff" Ferguson

Post by Spez »

That's awesome if that's the case. There doesn't seem to be any connections crew-wise or even the same studio. It would just be really cool to do.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Yeah, there's no connection between the films at all. So if it's true, then that's pretty funny.

DJBenz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DJBenz »

Neon Maniac wrote:Did you google it? When I first read it, I was like, "whatever". Then when I saw pages that had evidence, that was pretty interesting, because
Spoiler:
For me, I think most damnable evidence is that just like the pot smoker was immune in Cabin, all the kids who took Josh Hartnet's fake meth were immune to the alien in Faculty. And, they said that chemistry or whatever the dept was called was the weak link then, just like it turned out to be in Cabin.
Love the way you hide spoilers for The Faculty yet post Cabin spoilers in full view. :lol:

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

:lol:

It makes sense to me.

Horrorgal
Dead and Buried
Dead and Buried

Post by Horrorgal »

At first I liked this movie, then I watched it again and my opinion changed ~ I don't like it, It's got too much of a comedy aspect to it. If you like that thing then I recommend you rent it. But don't waste your money and buy it.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

I was going to re-watch this soon, now you have me second guessing. I really liked it the first time around.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Alien Redrum wrote:I was going to re-watch this soon, now you have me second guessing. I really liked it the first time around.
Honestly this is something I have been wanting to rewatch, but I fear I am not going to enjoy it as much.

If we ever did Horror DNA movie nights again this would be a perfect film to watch...
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

DJBenz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DJBenz »

shiki-jitsu wrote:Honestly this is something I have been wanting to rewatch, but I fear I am not going to enjoy it as much.
I have a similar fear.
shiki-jitsu wrote:If we ever did Horror DNA movie nights again this would be a perfect film to watch...

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

This is not too hard. Just pick a time that's UK reasonable. WE CAN EVEN LIVE TWEET IT.