Have you read Digital Comics?

Books, comics etc. anything that's on a page and not moving.
Spez
James "Jeff" Ferguson
James "Jeff" Ferguson

Have you read Digital Comics?

Post by Spez »

I've recently become a digital convert when it comes to comics. Using the comiXology app, I've picked up a number of titles over the past few weeks. They just have to reach a price point I'm comfortable with. That price point is either free or $0.99 an issue. I do a quick comparison to the cost of the trade paperback on Amazon and it's always lower in digital (for obvious reasons) so it's a no-brainer.

Marvel has been using their app very well, IMO. They've been offering the first issue of a comic or a storyline for free. It's a great way to check out a comic before buying the rest of the title. DC hasn't figured this out yet, instead focusing on releasing free character backgrounds which are pretty lame.

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Re: Have you read Digital Comics?

Post by shiki-jitsu »

I do, I've read a number of comics and manga on the ipad. The one thing I don't like about Comixology is there is not way to back up the files, and they are using a proprietary format IIRC. I like the .cbr/.cbz formats, easy to store on the computer, readable in a lot of apps.
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

Spez
James "Jeff" Ferguson
James "Jeff" Ferguson

Post by Spez »

You're correct. Someone on Reddit had come out with a plugin that allowed you to backup your files but it was nixed pretty quickly. I don't like it either, but the convenience of it outweighs any problems I have. Essentially you're buying a license to read the comic(s) through their app. If they ever go out of business, you don't have it anymore which sucks.

What are you using to read .cbr/.cbz on a tablet?

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Spez wrote:You're correct. Someone on Reddit had come out with a plugin that allowed you to backup your files but it was nixed pretty quickly. I don't like it either, but the convenience of it outweighs any problems I have. Essentially you're buying a license to read the comic(s) through their app. If they ever go out of business, you don't have it anymore which sucks.

What are you using to read .cbr/.cbz on a tablet?
The best that I found has been Cloudreaders: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cloudrea ... 84920?mt=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think that one is iOS only.
Letterboxd

Spez
James "Jeff" Ferguson
James "Jeff" Ferguson

Post by Spez »

Thanks for sharing your elitist app, Shiki. I'll keep on the lookout for one that's released for the people, by the people.

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

It just. Works.

I am trying to remember the one I wanted AK to install on her Nook Color, but I can't. I will ask her tonight.

I think Goodreader has an android equivalent, I believe you can read cbr files in there.

In love,
iShiki
Letterboxd

Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed
Services No Longer Needed
Anti-Spam Question: No

Post by Alien Redrum »

Spez wrote:Thanks for sharing your elitist app, Shiki. I'll keep on the lookout for one that's released for the people, by the people.
I swear to God I read this and my mouse instantly went below the post to hit the like button.

If, of course, was not there. :mad: :cry2:
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I almost exclusively read comics on my android tablet. It needs to be recharged, I can do that and tell you what free app I use. It's pretty awesome.

I read a lot of the Walking Dead series on my Sony 505 reader. B&W comics looked great on it, as did a lot of color ones, too.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

DJBenz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DJBenz »

I bought my wife an iPad. Nothing to do with this conversation, but now I have one I'm duty bound to tell everyone about it.

Carry on.
Horror DNA on the web: www | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Instagram

Spez
James "Jeff" Ferguson
James "Jeff" Ferguson

Post by Spez »

DJBenz wrote:I bought my wife an iPad. Nothing to do with this conversation, but now I have one I'm duty bound to tell everyone about it.

Carry on.
That's in the service agreement, I believe.

LivingDeadGirl
Shuffling Flesh Eater
Shuffling Flesh Eater

Post by LivingDeadGirl »

I have an account with Dark Horse Digital and won a free copy of The Creep. Still haven't had a chance to fully read through it yet. They have some pretty decent comic series, including Creepy, a horror comic with a narrator that kinda reminds me of The Creep in Creepshow
Everything I love about horror can be found on MY TUMBLR.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

LivingDeadGirl wrote: They have some pretty decent comic series, including Creepy, a horror comic with a narrator that kinda reminds me of The Creep in Creepshow
That would be because Creepy was one of the magazines that Creepshow was paying tribute too. The magazine started back in the 60's, I believe, Dark Horse is just doing it's current incarnation.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously