Alien Redrum: Invest in history...

If it's not horror, this is the place!
shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Re: Alien Redrum: Invest in history...

Post by shiki-jitsu »

And I would like to point you to the thread where you also openly laugh at him charging $68 a ticket to see Red State and Q/A... http://www.horrordna.com/_forum/viewto ... 9&start=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed
Anti-Spam Question: No

Post by Alien Redrum »

To which I said:
To be fair, Smith is speaking, too. :lol:
I still stand by it.

As a comparison, comedian Jim Jefferies tickets start at $50 and go up to $90. I fail to see how Smith charging for his standup/q&a is the same as Lee begging for money that he already has.

This is looking more and more like failure. The irony is Lee will blame white people because he will fail to admit to himself that black people don't like him enough to support his projects and white people know that any talent he might have once had was spent at Malcolm X. :lol:
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Alien Redrum wrote:To which I said:
To be fair, Smith is speaking, too. :lol:
I still stand by it.

As a comparison, comedian Jim Jefferies tickets start at $50 and go up to $90. I fail to see how Smith charging for his standup/q&a is the same as Lee begging for money that he already has.

This is looking more and more like failure. The irony is Lee will blame white people because he will fail to admit to himself that black people don't like him enough to support his projects and white people know that any talent he might have once had was spent at Malcolm X. :lol:
Smith wasn't doing standup, that was the cost of seeing red state and a q&a. Jim Jeffries for 50 is ridiculous as well. Will type more when not on phone
Letterboxd

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

I say standup as a catch all. I paid like $40 (not including bullshit taxes and fees) to see David Sedaris do a q&a/talk/whatever. And those were the cheapest seats. You are acting like Smith charges more than everyone else when I can give you a ton of people that charge the same.

*edit*

After watching Smith's q&as/whatever, I would pay more for Sedaris.

I saw Lynch too. Don't be jealous.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

TGM
Juvenile Reviewer
Juvenile Reviewer

Post by TGM »

Naked Grandpa wrote:the sneakers for $500

do you have to climb the telephone pole outside his house to get them?

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Shiki's black.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Neon Maniac wrote:Shiki's black.
Spike Lee is one of the most important American filmmakers of my lifetime. I hate to see his greatness maligned because he can be a bit of an asshole at times. It's the same problem as Oliver Stone. He gets unfairly shit on for some of his choices. Both of them are so, so, so important to film-making, art, culture and politics.
Letterboxd

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Shiki's Oliver Stone.

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Yes. Yes I am.
Letterboxd

TGM
Juvenile Reviewer
Juvenile Reviewer

Post by TGM »

shiki's mind has turned to mush from all that black pussy he eats.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

shiki-jitsu wrote:
Neon Maniac wrote:Shiki's black.
Spike Lee is one of the most important American filmmakers of my lifetime.
Why? I don't get the praise he gets.

I mean, my feelings for him aside, he has a shitty track record (okay, average at best).

If it's because of his color, there are far better black directors out there who aren't racist pieces of shit. I'd start with the Wayans brothers.

White Chicks >>>>>> Bamboozled.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Alien Redrum wrote:
Between 1986 and 1992 he made movies you don't like. He made movies that at times were hard to watch for a white man like yourself. They were sometimes brutal, sometimes racist, but usually honest, or at least honest parodies. He was throwing shit in the faces of the establishment and saying look, this is valid too. Then he started to suck big time. Malcom X was his first step down, and with Crooklynn he was barely holding on. Everything after that was him trying to reignite his former talent and he just became sadder and sadder. If I was to make a movie about him, I'd call it Glory Daze, because his are long gone.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Neon Maniac wrote:
Alien Redrum wrote:
Between 1986 and 1992 he made movies you don't like. He made movies that at times were hard to watch for a white man like yourself. They were sometimes brutal, sometimes racist, but usually honest, or at least honest parodies. He was throwing shit in the faces of the establishment and saying look, this is valid too. Then he started to suck big time. Malcom X was his first step down, and with Crooklynn he was barely holding on. Everything after that was him trying to reignite his former talent and he just became sadder and sadder. If I was to make a movie about him, I'd call it Glory Daze, because his are long gone.
I know what you are saying, and I actually liked his movies, but once he opened his fucking mouth and words came out of it (got uppity, if you will), I realized what a hypocritical asshole he was is. That's when his films lost all their power. Note, the scripts never bothered me (as eye-roll inducing as some could be), I'm talking about him in particular speaking.

I'd even go as far to say what you see now is how he's always been, but when he came out it was new and fresh and what the film world needed. But as time went on, it became more and more apparent that Lee is nothing more than a one trick pony whose "talent" is severely overrated. He has never grown as a filmmaker, and he faults everyone for this when it's clearly his own lack of talent. If Lee were truly as brilliant as people claimed, he'd have far more hits than misses, and he would be able to make a movie that doesn't involve whitey hate in one form or another.

He really is nothing more than a hack director.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Yeah, pretty much.

But so is Kevin Smith. Smith's a big fiery douche ball rolling down the world's largest hill. Quentin Tarantino is smarmy fuckwad who never had a decent original thought. Oliver Stone's a bitter, paranoid old man. George Lucas is a one trick pony who lost that trick. My point being, I separate the art from the artist. When I don't, like you, I hate a lot of things because I don't like the people that made them.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Neon Maniac wrote:Yeah, pretty much.

But so is Kevin Smith. Smith's a big fiery douche ball rolling down the world's largest hill. Quentin Tarantino is smarmy fuckwad who never had a decent original thought. Oliver Stone's a bitter, paranoid old man. George Lucas is a one trick pony who lost that trick. My point being, I separate the art from the artist. When I don't, like you, I hate a lot of things because I don't like the people that made them.
That's the thing, though, I agree with all of this. Smith gets whiney as fuck, I'll still enjoy his movies. Tarantino has no thoughts of his own, I enjoy his movies. Same with Stone and Lucas (although he only has 3 good ones). Shit, Smith isn't that good of a director. I just like his screenplays. And he should never be lauded as a good director. Stone? Great director. Lucas? Nope. Polansky? Can burn in hell. :lol:

I can separate the man from his films. I loved Malcolm X and Inside Man (although I still feel tricked into buying that because it slipped by me that he directed it :mad: ). I just don't think he deserves the hype that surrounds him. He really isn't a great director. His popularity only comes from his color because he uses it as a crutch/excuse when things don't go his way and it's goddamn annoying.

The irony here is if he raises the 1.5 million, it will do 150,000 at the box office. :lol: