Sleepy Hollow

Anything else; TV, music, video games etc.
Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed
Anti-Spam Question: No

Sleepy Hollow

Post by Alien Redrum »

Who's watching?

I like this, but I would like it a lot more if the writing wasn't so fucking lazy in points.

1. I'm pretty sure men who think they are from the past can't just wander into random crime scenes and muss around with the dead bodies, even if he does correctly determine it's the work of a witch.
2. When traversing the city's underground tunnel system, I'm confident that under normal conditions a lantern from the Revolutionary War would not immediately light up without a kerosene refill.
3. Did no one bother to look in these tunnels before walling them up, for you know, bodies and cases of unused gunpowder? One would think high explosives yards from the city streets would be dangerous.

That said, though, Crane's "stranger in a strange land" remarks about blacks and women never fail to amuse me.

And Highlander dude is awesome, even though I see him soon being a crutch like Castiel was in Supernatural.
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Re: Sleepy Hollow

Post by shiki-jitsu »

I had the lowest of expectations about this show. It looked horrendous in the commercials, but I gave it a chance after hearing it was better than most people thought it would be. After the pilot I felt really good about the show, they didn't hit you over the head too much with the "hey i'm from the past" type shit. Although the Starbucks joke made me audibly groan. I like that there is all this consipiracy, occult, etc. storylines in there. It has promise. The second episode wasn't nearly as good, but I thought the third made up for it. Pretty solid episode.

On your points:

1. In Sleepy Hollow you can. Deal with it.

2. and 3.
This actually really annoyed me as well. Everything about the tunnel system thing annoyed me. The lantern still working, the fact that they seemingly just covered over a door without checking anything behind it. The fact that there were metal staircases and walkways put into the tunnel that didn't seem out of place for Crane. They could have worked that all out better.
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

The Hitman
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by The Hitman »

I caught the pilot finally last night, and I'm not really that impressed. It's just good enough for me to keep watching Ep. 2 and 3 but it's got such gaps of logic and plotting... and frankly, I found it kind of hard to follow in places. I don't know. I was really looking forward to it, but I've got my doubts already.
Retired reviewer

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

shiki-jitsu wrote:1. In Sleepy Hollow you can. Deal with it.
Until Spez verifies, I do not believe this.

That said, the police procedural aspect of this is absolutely horrible. Abysmal even. The cops do everything wrong here.

But, I still like it. :lol:

What did you find confusing, Eric?

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

The Hitman
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by The Hitman »

Alien Redrum wrote: What did you find confusing, Eric?
Just little things, probably attributable to it being the pilot and the photography being dark.

It took me a few tries to figure out the priest was the same guy, for instance, because of the lighting or lack thereof.

And the hierarchy of the police had me confused. You had the Sheriff (Clancy Brown), a lieutenant (Abby) and then a captain (Orlando Jones)... it took me a while to figure out they were all in the same department, as opposed to a county sheriff and a local police or the FBI (with the Quantico references) and so on.

The John Cho situation was also a bit chaotic for my taste.
Spoiler:
I thought at first he tattled to save his skin when faced with the Horseman, then it seemed like he was working for the demon the whole time.
It may have been bad acting, though. I found him very flat.

I just feel like I had to spend way too much time thinking about the rules of the world instead of focusing on the thrills and chills.
Retired reviewer

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

The Hitman wrote:
Alien Redrum wrote: What did you find confusing, Eric?
Just little things, probably attributable to it being the pilot and the photography being dark.

It took me a few tries to figure out the priest was the same guy, for instance, because of the lighting or lack thereof.

And the hierarchy of the police had me confused. You had the Sheriff (Clancy Brown), a lieutenant (Abby) and then a captain (Orlando Jones)... it took me a while to figure out they were all in the same department, as opposed to a county sheriff and a local police or the FBI (with the Quantico references) and so on.
That makes sense. Yeah, Abby was supposed to go to Quantico originally, but Crane's arrival and Brown's uh, situation, led her to change her mind.
The John Cho situation was also a bit chaotic for my taste.
Spoiler:
I thought at first he tattled to save his skin when faced with the Horseman, then it seemed like he was working for the demon the whole time.
It may have been bad acting, though. I found him very flat.
I agree with this. I still don't know why he was doing what you spoilerized.
I just feel like I had to spend way too much time thinking about the rules of the world instead of focusing on the thrills and chills.
This is my only problem too. I really do like the show, but I do spend a lot of the time being bothered by a lot of things that are just wrong. I blame it on the writing, and hope they get a stronger crew because this really could be a great show.

TGM
Juvenile Reviewer
Juvenile Reviewer

Post by TGM »

I do like it, although I fear it is going to get tedious if it turns out to be just another "monster of the week" show.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I haven't seen it yet, but plan to. So I'm not participating in this thread yet.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

TGM
Juvenile Reviewer
Juvenile Reviewer

Post by TGM »

Neon Maniac wrote:I haven't seen it yet, but plan to. So I'm not participating in this thread yet.
you're doing it wrong.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I'd respond, but I'm not participating in this thread yet.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

My own list of what's wrong with this show, after just watching the 1st episode.

1. Agree with AR, crazy people just aren't allowed to wander around crime scenes.

2. WTF was with the Magical Monsignor and his chains?

3. So there's a radio call for back up, officer down at some stables out in BFE, and Harold does a u-turn, almost hits what looks like a homeless guy, and immediately felony stops him as a suspect in the murder that just happened miles away. So many leaps of logic here that I'm not even going to go into it in detail.

4. I like Orlando, but not when he's a dick like in this show.

5. If the population is 144,000 it's not a village.

6. Pretty sure if you brought a guy from the revolutionary period to the modern times, his mind would be so blown that he wouldn't be able to function all that well, would be ranting and raving about demons or witchcraft and would be locked up like in 12 Monkeys. This is what happened to me when I time travelled to 2265 anyway. Thank Titor for my easy return.

7. If the cop had a map drawn by George Washington, I'm guessing he wouldn't mark it all up with a sharpie when he could make as many copies of it as he wanted and put the original on ebay and get a ton of cash.

8. I wouldn't believe dude was from revolutionary times becasue he doesn't talk like he is. He speaks the vernacular too well.

9. The whole Quantico thing makes little sense. I don't even know what's going on here with that.

I'm going to keep watching it for now. No reason not to yet. It's ridiculous, yes. But who cares at this point.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

You guys are reading too much into Quantico. I'll break it down.

She was suppose to take a job in Quantico. Dude died. She stayed. That's it. I think they just threw that out there to say she's smart.

Other than that, your number 6 is accurate. (I have to assume.)

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Alien Redrum wrote:You guys are reading too much into Quantico. I'll break it down.

She was suppose to take a job in Quantico. Dude died. She stayed. That's it. I think they just threw that out there to say she's smart.

Other than that, your number 6 is accurate. (I have to assume.)
No. Disagree. Everyone who's watched a movie knows Quantico is where the FBI training is. It's like if you hear someone say they're going to Langley. So we're to believe the lieutenant was hired by the FBI and decided not to go because of this crazy ass white guy? I don't buy it. But it does add to the recoculousness of it all, so on that level I do. Honestly, the writing is so poor at some points that it's like I'm watching an episode of Lazer Cats.

As for #6, you better hope you never find out. You better pray to sweet god that it remains a mystery.

The Hitman
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by The Hitman »

Neon Maniac wrote: 5. If the population is 144,000 it's not a village.
I think I read somewhere that the real population of Sleepy Hollow is like 10,000 people.

This was another point that confused me: Clancy Brown is the sheriff of the county, so he's checking out all these crimes in different towns in the county, and the action seems to take place all over the county -- such as the cave -- but mainly in town. My guess is, if it's a "village," it's an unincorporated municipality within the county and therefore policed by the county sheriff. But it sure looks like a freakin' city -- as a pop. of 144,000 would verify.

A quick search reveals that 144,000 would be about the sixth-largest city in the state of New York, by the way. (Just behind Syracuse and well ahead of Albany.)
Retired reviewer

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

The Hitman wrote:
Neon Maniac wrote: 5. If the population is 144,000 it's not a village.
I think I read somewhere that the real population of Sleepy Hollow is like 10,000 people.

This was another point that confused me: Clancy Brown is the sheriff of the county, so he's checking out all these crimes in different towns in the county, and the action seems to take place all over the county -- such as the cave -- but mainly in town. My guess is, if it's a "village," it's an unincorporated municipality within the county and therefore policed by the county sheriff. But it sure looks like a freakin' city -- as a pop. of 144,000 would verify.

A quick search reveals that 144,000 would be about the sixth-largest city in the state of New York, by the way. (Just behind Syracuse and well ahead of Albany.)
Exactly. All just part of the ridiculousness. I suppose If I can suspend disbelief in a time travelling headless horseman and Crane, I might as well suspend disbelief all around.