Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed
Anti-Spam Question: No

Re: Beautiful films?

Post by Alien Redrum »

GOOD. THAT WAS THE GODDAMN PLAN.
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

While I have your attention, can you stop crying long enough to tell me what your avatar is from?

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

shiki-jitsu wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 5:08 pm
Alien Redrum wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 9:07 pm
Too bad the movies are so hacky. :(
Now I am not going to start posting again. :mad:
You already started posting.

BAM.

:mffacts:
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

DJBenz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DJBenz »

Alien Redrum wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 9:35 pm While I have your attention, can you stop crying long enough to tell me what your avatar is from?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082933/
Horror DNA on the web: www | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Instagram

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Early 80's arthouse claptrap starring a young Sam Neil. It sounds right up his alley.

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Neon Maniac wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 1:07 pm Early 80's arthouse claptrap starring a young Sam Neil.
:mad: claptrap :mad: I miss fun Neon. The Art Bell cock teases just turned Neon into a bitter, bitter man. :(

If you are buying any release of it... this is the one to get: https://www.toufaan.com/products/posses ... red-copies
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

shiki-jitsu wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 6:54 pm
Neon Maniac wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 1:07 pm Early 80's arthouse claptrap starring a young Sam Neil.
:mad: claptrap :mad: I miss fun Neon. The Art Bell cock teases just turned Neon into a bitter, bitter man. :(

If you are buying any release of it... this is the one to get: https://www.toufaan.com/products/posses ... red-copies
Oh, come on. You know you laughed at claptrap. And you're right, he's made me bitter. Or was it being continually ignored in the Art Bell thread that did that? :(

Of course the $65 LE is the one to get. :roll: How can there be a special claptrap version of claptrap?!?! That's like a double layer head exploder. Forget that nonsense. Right here it's $10 and they say it's "BEST DVD TRANSFER". They couldn't make that claim if it wasn't true.
https://www.raredvds.biz/Possession_DVD ... ession.htm

New Wave Shamrock
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by New Wave Shamrock »

Alien Redrum wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 9:07 pm
Neon Maniac wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 4:31 pmWhen I think of a "beautiful film" I think more of consistent, spectacular cinematography than I do a single scene. A hack can make a movie with a single 'beautiful' scene or framing, its' like a broken clock being right twice a day. There are very few films I've seen that are top to bottom visual feasts.
A lot of Argento's more popular stuff is like that.

Too bad the movies are so hacky. :(
If what Argento did on Deep Red, Inferno, Opera, Suspiria, Tenebre, The Bird with the Crystal Plumage, The Stendhal Syndrome, Phenomena, Cat o' Nine Tails, etc, is "hacky" ... I would never want to see him on magnum opus mode.

He tends to be the reason I believe excellence in horror is actually possible. (Well... him and Bava.) (But I always say Argento first because I think Black Sunday is too Sunday Schoolish. And the special effects in Bay of Blood are not handled with any care- they look phonier and Fulcier than anything Argento's ever done. And Lisa and the Devil is too rapey, without showing the actual effect it has psychologically on Lisa as a character.)
:badger:

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

His movies are quite gorgeous and I own many of them for that reason. The story and writing though; not impressive. It's run of the mill stuff. If his films weren't gloriously beautiful, he'd be forgotten in history.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

DJBenz wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 8:07 am
Alien Redrum wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 9:35 pm While I have your attention, can you stop crying long enough to tell me what your avatar is from?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082933/
I'm gonna have to track this down as soon as I'm done watching Android Cop.

New Wave Shamrock
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Alien Redrum wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 6:02 pmHis movies are quite gorgeous and I own many of them for that reason. The story and writing though; not impressive. It's run of the mill stuff. If his films weren't gloriously beautiful, he'd be forgotten in history.
Forgotten where in history? By whom? Horror fans have stunning memories. And dedication to those memories. Heck, there are horror fans who call Fulci politically subversive and think Lamberto Bava's abysmal A Blade in the Dark is on the same level as Argento.

Which I suppose would be enough for me to be as skeptical about people who think Argento is a master, at least back when I wasn't sure he was all they were cracking him up to be, but when I first saw each of his films, my eyes nearly exploded. Almost 15 years later, I actually feel his films are a lot more than beautiful. Hence why they would attract people as intelligent as Kim Newman, Maitland McDonagh, and Alan Jones. Who think Argento's work is complex and intricate and thoughtful enough to have written entire books on them.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

I think you need to re-read that. If they weren't as beautiful as they were, he'd be forgotten in history. He'd be another name in a group of filmmakers who made giallo. However, his eye is what saves him from being a mediocre filmmaker.

He's like Janice Joplin. If she hadn't died when she did, know one would know her name.

New Wave Shamrock
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Alien Redrum wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 2:19 pmI think you need to re-read that. If they weren't as beautiful as they were, he'd be forgotten in history. He'd be another name in a group of filmmakers who made giallo. However, his eye is what saves him from being a mediocre filmmaker.

He's like Janice Joplin. If she hadn't died when she did, know one would know her name.
No, I read you right. I just didn't feel like telling you your reply went entirely without saying. It would be the same as me telling you: hey, Serena Williams wouldn't be a famous tennis player if she didn't hit the balls when they came flying at her. If Wolfgang Puck couldn't cook, he wouldn't be a famous chef. If Pam Anderson didn't have big boobs, she wouldn't be famous for anything. If Donald Trump weren't a colossal idiot, he wouldn't be President.

So I mentioned some really cool, intelligent people wrote some books about his filmography because they were in awe of him- let's forget that for the time being and just recognize that a lot of people think style can in and of itself be substantial. I guess I am one of them. Argento could never make some blandly competent Hollywood drama with the by-the-book character development. He was too busy blazing trails. Breaking ground. Doing things that people of great repute have looked up to him for for decades and still think he's impressive for having done. Ask most of the horror filmmakers you actually have respect for (or do a seance and ask their spirits) (the ones who died)- I'll bet he inspired each and every one.

There has to be mean something. I don't think those people waste time musing: "gee, if the guy hadn't known how to make films- he wouldn't have made such great films." (No matter how you phrase it.)

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

I stand by that he was right place right time. He might have been the best of the giallo bunch, but his dialog and stories are rather weak.

I recognize why people love him, of course. There's a reason why I own many of his films. But closer unbiased examination does show he's overrated as a storyteller.

I'll give him mad credit for working with Goblin, though. Those are some of my favorite soundtracks of any genre.