Stranger Things...

General horror discussion. Movies, DVDs, Blu-rays, TV, and Podcasts.
Yojimbo
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Stranger Things...

Post by Yojimbo »

Not as "cool" as folks really want to believe and could have been edited down to 5 or 6 episodes and we wouldn't have missed much! :facts:

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Anti-Spam Question: No

Re: Stranger Things...

Post by Neon Maniac »

Agree to disagree. I enjoyed every minute of it. Watched it twice. Can't wait for the second season. But then I used to work for the OOE at a secret installation in NV, so maybe it was just more realistic to me.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed

Post by Alien Redrum »

I Ioved every minute of it, especially the bike chase scene.

I will say, though, its popularity sets it up for disappointment.
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

DJBenz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DJBenz »

I managed to see it as the hype tidal wave was just starting to swell. Had I waited another month or so I think I would have been fairly disappointed. It's a good show, the 80s vibe was great, but I agree that it could have been tighter in the edit, a lot of the story threads seemed to drag on far too long.
Horror DNA on the web: www | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Instagram

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Yojimbo wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:26 am Not as "cool" as folks really want to believe and could have been edited down to 5 or 6 episodes and we wouldn't have missed much! :facts:
100% agree. Too much filler, easily could and should have been edited down a few eps. Some of the characters got on my nerves... Lucas and Dustin I am squarely looking at you. Overall they captured the feel right. It was a decent enough story. I wasn't crazy about the ending so much and I could have definitely done without the epilogue. I don't have high hopes for S2.

It's so weird, I thought there was a thread on here about it. I remember writing similar thoughts, but it must have been in emails. :umm:
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

There was no thread here on it. That must've been at the other forum you go to. :mad:

I still agree to disagree. I think maybe the timing of how much hype about it have you swallowed first makes a difference. I'd never heard of it until I had multiple people (AR was one) telling me specifically I would dig it. No other info. And I dug that bitch like a well.

Cuts, edits, etc. What you are really saying is you did not like the director's art. I enjoyed the cuts and edits as they very much reminded me of Super 8. I actually think Super 8 had more influence over Stranger Things than the 80's.

BluejeanBaby
Dead and Buried
Dead and Buried

Post by BluejeanBaby »

There was a good podcast interview with the editors from Stranger Things on GC where they specifically go into why they paced the show the way they did. It's pretty interesting. http://gocreativeshow.com/editing-stran ... an-gcs100/

Apparently they approached editing ST "organically as opposed to purposefully." It explains why some may feel it could have gotten to the point quicker and why some feel it was perfect the way it is.

Personally, I love their approach to it.

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Watching season 2... holy shit the wall to wall music is fucking annoying. So far I am a little bored, but I’m only 2 eps in so far.
Letterboxd

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

:lol:
Me on Facebook wrote:Digging Stranger Things Season 2 despite already reading the inevitable backlash from hipster jackasses.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Alien Redrum wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:12 pm :lol:
Me on Facebook wrote:Digging Stranger Things Season 2 despite already reading the inevitable backlash from hipster jackasses.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
You have to admit the constant look at what year it is references, and the wall-to-wall music is a bit much. We get it, it’s 1984.
Letterboxd

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

I love it. Shout at the Devil? YES PLEASE.

GOD FORBID THEY HAVE A GODDAMN SOUNDTRACK, SHIKI.

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Alien Redrum wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:42 pm I love it. Shout at the Devil? YES PLEASE.

GOD FORBID THEY HAVE A GODDAMN SOUNDTRACK, SHIKI.
Well, I didn’t know you like musicals so much. :mad:

Of course I love Shout at the Devil... but I also didn’t need girls on film, islands in the stream, wango tango, etc etc etc. and none of those kids would have been really dancing to shout at the devil at a party except for madmax’s brother.
Letterboxd

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

JUST STOP WATCHING BECAUSE YOU ARE ALREADY NITPICKING.

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

And why is everyone in Hawkins a republican? Going to tell me there were no Mondale fans there? :shake:
Letterboxd

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

OMG Shiki. Stop being the internet hipsters AR warned me about :( :(

I didn't notice the music until you mentioned it, and I agree about that a bit. They could back off, they don't need all Top 100 hits from 1984 there. However, in my neck of the woods, Shout at the Devil was indeed played at an 8th grade dance, circa 1984-85. BAM! Not so smart are you now? Mr. Internet Hipster.

I'm at about Ep5 now. Gotta say that Will and Mike pretty much are the same person to me. One is tall, one is small. Other than that, they're interchangeable. I dig Dustin and Black Dustin. Max kicks ass and is a good addition. I really hate the Camaro driving Billy though. With his wild hair and pretty boy looks. smh. He's got a story, but I don't wanna know it. Paul Reiser is awsome in this! He's so good playing a weiner type.

I wonder if Barb is such a big issue in this season because everybody made fun of them for ignoring Barb's plight in S1.

OMG I'm glad they added Sean Astin so now AR has a character to empathize with.