Where the Day Takes You

If it's not horror, this is the place!
Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Anti-Spam Question: No

Where the Day Takes You

Post by Neon Maniac »

In 42 years when we're all dead and you're finally done with Season 2 of Stranger Things, I'm going to suggest a movie on Netflix called Where the Day Takes You. Totally forgot about this movie. It was made in 1991, but I swear its' heart is set about 4 years earlier. Amazing cast in retrospect. You'd dig this.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105810/?ref_=nv_sr_1
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Re: Stranger Things...

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Neon Maniac wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:04 am In 42 years when we're all dead and you're finally done with Season 2 of Stranger Things, I'm going to suggest a movie on Netflix called Where the Day Takes You. Totally forgot about this movie. It was made in 1991, but I swear its' heart is set about 4 years earlier. Amazing cast in retrospect. You'd dig this.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105810/?ref_=nv_sr_1
That is a really fantastic movie. :up: And I generally don't say that about Will Smith movies. :lol:

Hopefully it has held up, I have not seen it in a really long time.
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

shiki-jitsu wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:09 pm
That is a really fantastic movie. :up: And I generally don't say that about Will Smith movies. :lol:

Hopefully it has held up, I have not seen it in a really long time.
It's totes held up. I'm also wondering how much of this was an inspiration to Kids. I probably scoffed at it back then due to the cast. Now, I see the cast as totally amazing in this. From a 2017 perspective, I don't think even Robert Altman could've put together such a good ensemble cast. You should check it out for yourself. Sean Astin is great in this, and I'm not even a fan. Nancy McKeon in a bra looking all amy whinehouse, yes please.

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

I never made the connection to Kids before, but it would somewhat make sense. Like an east coast answer to it. I would have no reason to think that Harmony Korine wouldn't have seen Where the Day Takes you previous to writing the screenplay.

The thing with Kids was how so fucking accurate that movie was, atleast growing up in that area. Because yeah thats what I was doing in the early 90s skating around NYC all day, getting fucked up and hooking up. Except I never crossed paths with Chloe Sevigny :( :( :(
Letterboxd

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I'd never put it together until now. There's a lot of 'in your face' reality, which reminded me of Kids and I wanted to see who did it first. Speaking of which, it's got doses of Matt Dillon's Over the Edge and Emilio Estevez's That was Then... This is Now in it. I think maybe there's a subgenre of juvenile delinquent/teen rebellion and these movies just share DNA. There's a couple other punk movies from the 80's you could probably drop here too.

Their portrayal of west coast street kids was pretty damn accurate, I think. At least from what I remember of them back in the 90's when Portland had the highest population of homeless juvs in the country, and what I remember of Seattle in the 80's. You can kind of see similar characters in Drugstore Cowboy and My Own Private Idaho.

Sorry about Chloe :(

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

I loooooooooove Over the Edge. I guess I am just a fan of disenfranchised youth cinema lol.

I remember watching Over the Edge when I was a young kid and feeling so sad at the last scene when the bus is taking off. And such a great soundtrack!

Of course I also love My Own Private Idaho but could give or take Drugstore Cowboy. Go figure.

Never saw That Was Then... need to check that out I guess.
Letterboxd

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

lol yeah, I think I'm a fan of disenfranchised youth cinema too. Over the Edge was great. It really blew my mind when I was about 11 or 12. That was Then... is likely very dated. It was SE Hinton's other book, and it wasn't anywhere near as big as Outsiders. I remember it being very 80's, and also a kid who was supposed to be on LSD saying he was tasting colors or something :lol:

There was an ABC afterschool special they used to play a lot. It had Emilio Estevez as a bad kid and Martin Sheen played his dad. All the did was yell at each other about drugs. I think I watched it like 10000 times.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Neon Maniac wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:09 am You can kind of see similar characters in Drugstore Cowboy and My Own Private Idaho.
After posting that I was IMDB'ing some of these movies, and James LeGros (Sensitive Ponytail Guy) is in both Where the Day and Drugstore Cowboy, so yeah kinda similar characters :lol: I don't remember him in Drugstore, but in Where the Day I swear he's just wearing a trucker hat w/ mullet Halloween costume the entire time. :lol:

I think Chloe is in Portland sometimes, so if I see her I'm going to tell her about you.

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Neon Maniac wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:44 pm After posting that I was IMDB'ing some of these movies, and James LeGros (Sensitive Ponytail Guy) is in both Where the Day and Drugstore Cowboy, so yeah kinda similar characters :lol: I don't remember him in Drugstore, but in Where the Day I swear he's just wearing a trucker hat w/ mullet Halloween costume the entire time. :lol:
I love that you call him that, Sam and I only ever refer to him as Sensitive Ponytail Guy or "Its OK to loathe these people" guy. They are his only names. Its' funny I don't remember him in Drugstore, but like I said that never really resonated with me and it I don't remember much about it at this point.
Neon Maniac wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:44 pm I think Chloe is in Portland sometimes, so if I see her I'm going to tell her about you.
Please do. Thanks.

So now that you said more about the That was Then... I do believe I had seen that. What an amazing cast in that. Lamar and the guy from Nightbreed and the chick from Cutting Class. Fuck yeah, I need to rewatch. :thumbsup:

The made for TV movie (In the Custody of Strangers?) sounds familiar too. I read the description sounds awesome. He's also in one called Seventeen Going on Nowhere which sounds similar and great.
Letterboxd

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I think Seventeen Going on Nowhere is the one I'm talking about. When you needed for things to get real, you went to Matt Dillon for your teen rebellion. If you wanted it light but angry, you went to Emilio. :lol:

I forgot about the loathe people line :lol: :lol: :lol: That's one of the best characters ever, if it still's remembered 25 years later.

If I see Chloe, I'll totally talk you up to her. :up:

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

There are two quotes that I use constantly.

“It’s ok to loathe these people” from singles and “have some more kids why don’t ya” from Ghost World.

Well, those and just about everything from Student Bodies and a number of lines from Teen Witch :lol:
Letterboxd

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

I wonder how AR is liking episode 5. :shake:
Letterboxd

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

shiki-jitsu wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:21 am There are two quotes that I use constantly.

“It’s ok to loathe these people” from singles and “have some more kids why don’t ya” from Ghost World.

Well, those and just about everything from Student Bodies and a number of lines from Teen Witch :lol:

:lol: I say the same line about have more kids!
shiki-jitsu wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:48 pm I wonder how AR is liking episode 5. :shake:
I'm mad that he's ignoring this thread as much as he's ignoring the show. He must take long notes every episode and then read them before watching again, because otherwise he'd forget what the show was about.

Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed
Services No Longer Needed

Post by Alien Redrum »

FYI, I see you two posting, but I"m not reading anything because I haven't started episode 3 yet.
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

We haven't been talking about Stranger Things for a while now. I don't even remember what that show was about, I watched it so long ago.