[HDNA #03] - Gilchrist: A Novel by Christian Galacar

Books, comics etc. anything that's on a page and not moving.
Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed
Anti-Spam Question: No

[HDNA #03] - Gilchrist: A Novel by Christian Galacar

Post by Alien Redrum »

Gilchrist: A Novel by Christian Galacar

Two years after losing their infant son to a tragic accident, Peter Martell, a novelist with a peculiar knack for finding lost things, and his wife, Sylvia, are devastated to learn they may no longer be able to have children. In need of a fresh start, and compelled by strange dreams, the couple decide to rent a lake house in the idyllic town of Gilchrist, Massachusetts, a place where bad things might just happen for a reason. As bizarre events begin to unfold around them—a chance encounter with a gifted six-year-old boy, a series of violent deaths, and repeated sightings of a strange creature with a terrifying nature—Peter and Sylvia find themselves drawn into the chaos and soon discover that coming to Gilchrist may not have been their decision at all.

Set against a small New England town in the summer of 1966, Gilchrist is a sinister tale about the haunting origins of violence, evil, and the undying power of memory.

Purchase here (or at the bookstore of your choice) and join in on the discussion:

Cast of Characters (may contain spoilers):
Peter - Husband of Sylvia, spending a 3-week holiday on the lake in Gilchrist.
Sylvia - Wife of Peter, spending a 3-week holiday on the lake in Gilchrist.
Tom - Peter's agent.
George Batemen - Bar owner. Makes a great burger.
Sue - Does the upkeep for the house Peter and Sylvia are renting. Could be 40, could be 60.
Nate Osterman - Town tow truck driver. Beats his son and probably his wife. Alcoholic.
Ricky - Town thug. Abusive father. Son of Nate.
Hooch - Ricky's best (only) friend.
Corbin - Town sheriff. Father of Grace, husband of NAME.
Grace - Daughter of Corbin. 15. Has a good head.
Beverly - Grace's best friend. Crushes on Ricky. Teaching herself to smoke so she won't be a square.
Elhouse - Old man.
Gertie - Old woman.
Kevin Dooley - Kid that disappeared in his house then reappeared coming from the woods.
Laura Dooley - Kevin's mother. Husband's dead.
Buck Ryerson - Owns the hearse/ambulance.
Hank Barrett - Town's local doctor.
Jim Krantz- Son of Dick Krantz. Found the Gilchrist boy.
Sandy - Teenager with Jim. Good at blowjobs. Doesn't like her head forced down.
Dave Blatten - Husband of Sarah. Cop. Abusive to wife and dogs.
Sarah Blatten - Wife of Dave. Wants Dave dead. Probably gonna get Billy to do it.
Billy - Local cop. Sleeping with Sarah.
Fayette Pynchon - Former Pastor until he had a stroke. Now he paints his visions.
Gale - Wife of Fayette.
Leo - Husband to Helen. Real estate agent. Makes pens out of wood.
Helen - Wife of Leo. Likes church.
Benny Feller - Daughter died. Blamed demons.
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Alien Redrum

Re: [HTBC #03] - Gilchrist: A Novel by Christian Galacar

Post by Alien Redrum »

I haven't read the first three chapters yet, but I thought I did until I went to post my thoughts.

Heads up; the chapters have numbers in them. So it will go:

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
And so on.

Shit. :lol:

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

:lol: Yeah that threw me at first as well. :lol:

I am just about finished with the third chapter though, thoughts coming soon.
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Spoilers for Chapters Prologue-03:
Prologue
Bad News
Dale's Delight
Ricky Osterman

Okay, I finished up chapter 3 on Thursday or so, but haven't had a chance to write anything (obvs).

The prologue did a good job hooking me. I'm already curious as to what possessed the dude, and what happened to him. As this was what? In 1931 and Chapter 1 starts in like the 1966, it's a nice tease.

It's been a while since I've read a meaty, character-filled book, so it's going to take a minute for me to get really involved in it. That said, I didn't care much for the first chapter. There was nothing about any of the characters that appealed to me other than the guy who rented the lodge to Peter, and maybe Peter's agent. So when Sylvia tried to off herself, I didn't really care.

I did however like the interaction between Peter and the family doctor. That dude saw right through Peter's bullshit and was having none of it.

The next chapter with the old people was more of the same, although I'm curious as to how they are going to play into it, and what exactly old dude did when he followed his demon wife into the wood.

That said, I really liked Ricky's story. I don't want to make a comparison to King here, but something about that whole scene with Ricky and the other teens felt very King-like. It's as if Ricky is Henry Bowers or...John Travolta in Carrie. I know these types of characters are a dime a dozen, but something about Ricky feels VERY much like a King character, but I can't put my finger on it and probably won't be able to until the magical negro shows up.

I don't think this is bad by any stretch. I'm curious as to where it's going, but it hasn't yet grabbed me. However, I suspect it will sooner than later.

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Spoilers for Chapters Prologue-03:
Prologue
Bad News
Dale's Delight
Ricky Osterman

I am going to echo a lot of what AR already said.

The prologue definitely lured me in. I'm iffy on Peter and Sylvia. It's interesting, obviously will be going somewhere, this was all nice setup to get to the meat of it I hope. The parts with the young kids at the lake were annoying. Maybe I just hate kids, but it was starting to turn me away, something about the writing in that section was gnawing at me (and maybe it is the King-ness of Ricky.)

The old couple's chapter was definitely bringing me back in. I am intrigued. I want to know what is going on. The hinting at something in their youth, when they were on their walk. The 'demon wife' as you called it. Such a good scene. And back when he was in bed after the lost time. So good. Pulled me back in, left me wanting more.

Ricky is definitely King-like. I didn't think of that at all when I was reading it, but I definitely see it (though I also do not know why). Maybe it is in the simplicity of his orgin story. The poor kid with the abusive father, the lack of love of his mother. The rest of the story about Ricky is interesting. His murders are interesting.

I haven't ready anymore yet, but I am definitely intrigued. I am not wowed by the writing so far, but it is good enough.
Letterboxd

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

shiki-jitsu wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:20 pmRicky is definitely King-like. I didn't think of that at all when I was reading it, but I definitely see it (though I also do not know why). Maybe it is in the simplicity of his orgin story. The poor kid with the abusive father, the lack of love of his mother. The rest of the story about Ricky is interesting. His murders are interesting.
YES!
haven't ready anymore yet, but I am definitely intrigued. I am not wowed by the writing so far, but it is good enough.
That's a perfect way to describe it. It's getting the job done.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Spoilers for chapters 04-06:
The Metzger Kid is Dead
Shady Cove
A Sunday Morning in Gilchrist

Okay, so now we're starting to cook. These three chapters are all better than the prior three and the story is starting to (slightly) develop. I still really don't care about (assumedly) the main characters, Kevin and Sylvia, but what are you going to do.

Ricky's forced car accident was fanfuckingtastic, and I love what was going on with the 18-year-old and the 30-year-old when they came up on the wreckage. :lol:

WTF was up with the cop burning the poor dog's nose!!! :mad: :cry2:
I love, though, that his wife his sexing it up with the other cop though. Kind of some just deserts there, but there is no doubt we'll see a confrontation soon enough.

LOVE how the little boy disappeared. LOVE how the little boy re-appeared. I'm all about what happened there.

The death of the real estate guy was cringe inducing and kind of sad. Galacar did a good job building up that character in a short time for me to kind of care about him.

I'm more into the book now, but if there's one problem I have, it has a frustrating amount of characters, almost too many. Like, for some reason (and this is probably totally on me), I didn't even put two and two together that the tow truck driver was Ricky's father until later on when he and Ricky had the confrontation.

I'm going to list the characters on the first post, so please tell me to add any I'm missing.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

(Read that cast of characters after you finish chapter 6.)

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Spoilers for chapters 07-09:
Fire
You're Like Me
Good Dog

Damn, this is starting to role because all the pieces are falling into place. Peter and Sylvia are finally growing on me a little. I think mainly because they are getting fleshed out more. Not going to lie, I was all, "DAMN" when Sylvia was criticizing Laura's mothering skills and it went something like:

"What kind of mother would let her kid disappear?"
"Well, what kind of mother would let her son fall out a window?"

Holy fuck. Now we know what happened to the kid. :lol:

I'm rather surprised how Elhouse was killed off so early. Seems like a lot of time was spent developing him, only to make him cannon fodder. That said, I love the whole scene with Gertie and Corbin. She's a strong woman and has no time for bullshit.

Now, let's get to it...OMG DAVE AND BILLY WTF OMG WTF BBQ!!!!111!! I have to admit, I did not see THAT coming. I figured there'd be some fisticuffs and I'd root for Billy, but Dave would win because that's what happens. BUT FUCK. You know what this was? This was THAT scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark and Billy was the swordsman. :lol:

Shocked me, but I love how the author is making it quite clear he's not fucking around.

Speaking of the author, I know I said I'd try not to, but damn, this book is absolutely dripping with King's influence. It is SO King-like. For example, the kid Kevin. He's got special powers, just like most kids in King's books. You watch, Kevin is going to a major player in this book, and the killing of the big bad will rest on his shoulders.

Gilchrist = Derry and Pennywise is back in town.

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

OMG you are burning through this. Will be posting my thoughts on 4-6 later today. Didnt even start the next set yet. :(
Letterboxd

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

TBH, I thought you were hating it because it's so King-like. :lol:

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Alien Redrum wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:26 pm TBH, I thought you were hating it because it's so King-like. :lol:
I am not hating it. It has King-things going on, but it's not as annoying to read as King's tend to be for me.

It's definitely picked up in the last set. More to come!
Letterboxd

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Spoilers for chapters 10-12:
Dynamite Meatloaf
Jackson Hill
In the Lake

So chapter 10 really solidified my belief that Kevin is going to be THE ONE when it comes to the showdown. I’m so sure of this, I will legit be surprised if he’s not the key to destroying whatever it is that is hovering its evil ways over Gilchrist. That doesn’t mean I don’t like where it’s going, but it seems – at this point – a bit predictable.

Chapter 11, “Jackson Hill” got meta as fuck. I kind of like that, but we’re halfway through and it seems like a weird place to introduce something so big. However, I’m willing to accept the oddness of it all as, like Derry, Gilchrist is a place that’s ripe for weirdness. This is just another day. Unrelated but related, is it just me how easy it was for Peter to get in touch with that author. The way I’m reading it is Peter is a low-level author (maybe a book or 3) and this other guy is kinda big (maybe Keene or Koontz?). I don’t know. It’s nitpicky but whatever.

Chapter 12 was meh. Didn’t care. Felt like filler.

Side note, what’s up with Grace? We haven’t seen hide or hair from her in a minute, and considering the time put in to introduce her, you’d think she’d be more involved.

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

I will post my thoghts tonight... PROMISE!
Letterboxd

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Spoilers for Chapters 13-17:
Missing
Search Party
Out in the Woods
Time to Go
Epilogue / A New Start

Well, we found Grace. :lol:

I went ahead and finished off the book because after chapter 15, there's only like 5 minutes of reading left.

Honestly, this ending is fucking bullshit. Don't get me wrong, I really like how the church blew up and Galacar killed of Sylvie. That is certainly impressive. But the ending has all kinds of issues.

First, why the fuck would you build up Kevin with these fucking superpowers and NOT EVEN USE THEM. What a complete and utter waste of time reading that character's story. It was absolutely pointless other than to show how wacky Gilchrist is, and it could have been done better and with less of time wasting bullshit. I'm a lot fucking annoyed that Kevin is literally useless. There was no point at all for him to be in the story.

Also, the ending is lame. The entire point of the novel was to show that this evil resides in this town and is getting stronger; so much so, people are witnessing it. It's kidnapping kids like Kevin (FOR NO FUCKING REASON), making cops kill each other, making some dude plant dynamite in a church, and at the end, we battle that big bad, right? No. Of course not. Why would we. Instead we shoot some dipshit teenager (maybe, we only heard the shots and the dude that supposedly did the shooting never showed up again). That makes sense. Build up a confrontation with true evil, the pussy out of it at the end and just make the book ultimately about some kid who kidnaps the sheriffs daughter and maybe dies the end. FUCK.

AND WHAT HAPPENED TO PETER. For fuck's sake, this entire last part of the book is amateur fucking hour.

Don't get me wrong, I like a LOT about this book. I think Galacar is skilled in developing characters that you like or hate, even minor ones. But everything is thrown at the wall here, and nothing really sticks. And the ending is like that piece of baloney that looks like it might stick, but it too ends up sliding down the wall to the ground. It sure as hell is a lot of fun watching all that shit hit the wall, but ultimately you are left disappointed and unfulfilled. This is like a Michael Bay movie. I'm glad I read it, I don't feel cheated at all for the $5 I spent on it. But at the end of the day, there's no substance. The difference between this and a Bay movie, though, is I'll revisit The Rock.

My God, I cannot wait until you finish this, Shiki. I'm eager to hear what you think.

This was heading to be a solid 3.5 - 4/5. But after that ending, it's 2.5/5 (3 on goodreads because it doesn't do halves and it's not fair to round it down to 2).