Horror discussion #15 - Halloween III: SotW (1982)

General horror discussion. Movies, DVDs, Blu-rays, TV, and Podcasts.

Any Good?

Highly recommended
33%
Recommended
33%
Rent it
11%
Skip it
11%
Not seen it
11%

Total votes: 9

Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed
Anti-Spam Question: No

Horror discussion #15 - Halloween III: SotW (1982)

Post by Alien Redrum »

IMDB Synopsis:
A large Halloween mask-making company has plans to kill millions of American children with something sinister hidden in Halloween masks.
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

dragonmanes
Back from the dead
Back from the dead

Re: Horror discussion #15 - Halloween III: SotW (1982)

Post by dragonmanes »

Highly recommended, but look at it as Season of the Witch and forget that its a Halloween film
Horror, gore, and more! Read my reviews at http://i-like-horror-movies.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

This is one that I always felt got an undeserved bad rap, just because of its title. I thought I had read at one point that Carpenter's original intent for the Halloween series was to have a different themed movie with each entry (but I could be pulling that out of my ass).

Either way, this gets a strong recommended from me, as I enjoyed it a lot. I think the key, though, is you have to watch it with the realization this is not in the Michael Myers universe by any stretch of the imagination.

If nothing else, you will forever know the awesomeness that is the Silver Shamrock jingle. :yay: :lol:

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Sham
Ex-Closet Monkey
Ex-Closet Monkey

Post by Sham »

I chose skip it, just because the movie is pretty forgettable. I'm the kind of moviegoer who would rather watch a horrible movie that's memorable than a mediocre one that's not.

I will say, though, that I rewound the slow clap scene at least ten times.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Alien Redrum wrote:This is one that I always felt got an undeserved bad rap, just because of its title. I thought I had read at one point that Carpenter's original intent for the Halloween series was to have a different themed movie with each entry (but I could be pulling that out of my ass).

Either way, this gets a strong recommended from me, as I enjoyed it a lot. I think the key, though, is you have to watch it with the realization this is not in the Michael Myers universe by any stretch of the imagination.

If nothing else, you will forever know the awesomeness that is the Silver Shamrock jingle. :yay: :lol:
I cosign all of that. I think it's a great movie. Just don't take it as a Michael Meyers movie and you're set. It's got a lot of classic 80's horror elements to it, and unlike Sham, I don't think it's mediocre or forgettable. I think kids these days just don't get the culture of the 80's that makes this movie fantastic. Every fear from that time is in there somewhere it seems. Dead kids, benign consumer products killing you, conspiracy... you name it, it's all there.

Sham
Ex-Closet Monkey
Ex-Closet Monkey

Post by Sham »

Neon, I think a lot of it has to do with when you see a movie and how relevant it is at the time.

For example, if an educated kid sits down tonight to watch Scream for the first time, he might immediately ask why the stupid teenager in the beginning doesn't just check the caller ID. At the same time, however, this kid is not understanding how esoteric that technology was when Scream first came out, completely oblivious to the fact that it's practically why caller ID took off in the first place.

This is the same situation for me and Season of the Witch. I didn't grow up in the '80s. I didn't see this movie when it might have been relevant. On top of all of this, I didn't really enjoy the movie and found it pretty bland.

I'm just trying to give a better explanation so I don't seem like one of those "WHERE THE HECK IS MICHAEL MYERS!!??1" fanboys, because Halloween is the last movie in the world I get excited about.

Spez
James "Jeff" Ferguson
James "Jeff" Ferguson

Post by Spez »

Never seen it.

Girlghost
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Girlghost »

Spez wrote:Never seen it.
definitely worth mentioning. ;)

The Hitman
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by The Hitman »

I said "rent it," because I think it's a decent movie if you ignore the "Halloween" label, as mentioned.

But it's not that remarkable, other than the cute female lead and the always-fine Tom Atkins as the male lead.

I can't believe no one has mentioned the gawdawful "Silver Shamrock" commercial theme that gets in your head and never leaves.
Retired reviewer

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

The Hitman wrote:I can't believe no one has mentioned the gawdawful "Silver Shamrock" commercial theme that gets in your head and never leaves.
I wrote:If nothing else, you will forever know the awesomeness that is the Silver Shamrock jingle. :yay: :lol:
TAKE ME OFF IGNORE, PLS.

The Hitman
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by The Hitman »

Alien Redrum wrote:
The Hitman wrote:I can't believe no one has mentioned the gawdawful "Silver Shamrock" commercial theme that gets in your head and never leaves.
I wrote:If nothing else, you will forever know the awesomeness that is the Silver Shamrock jingle. :yay: :lol:
TAKE ME OFF IGNORE, PLS.
D'oh!
Retired reviewer

19itmicmac
Emerging from the grave.
Emerging from the grave.

Post by 19itmicmac »

I'm a Halloween geek so of course I love this one and it is actually a pretty good story. Originally, John Carpenter had planned to a series of Halloween movies, each with a different theme but people loved Micheal Myers so much that the idea just went right out the door.

Mistress0fTheDamned
Emerging from the grave.
Emerging from the grave.

Post by Mistress0fTheDamned »

Like all the other Halloween series except for this one.
Stare at the dark too long and you will eventually see
WHAT ISN’T THERE.

Hell is empty and all the devils are here.