The Many Saints of Newark

If it's not horror, this is the place!
Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed
Anti-Spam Question: No

The Many Saints of Newark

Post by Alien Redrum »

Anyone watch this yet? Man, what a disappointment. I mean...I'm gonna put this in spoilers, but it's not really a spoiler. It's just what to expect.
Spoiler:
Don't expect a Tony Soprano origin movie. It's not that. At. All. The story centers on Tony's uncle; Christpoher's father. Sure, young Tony is in it, but it's not about him. And fuck, you barely see any of Tony's crew.
I will say, though, after watching it, it changes everything you think about one particular character. And, to its credit, I'm rewatching the series with that in mind and it's a different dynamic now.

But still, the movie itself is a huge letdown.

Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re: The Many Saints of Newark

Post by Neon Maniac »

I wanted to watch this but forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder. I didn't read your spoiler as I'm trying to cut down on the negativity in my life.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

The Sopranos have always been a one and done kind of thing. I haven't really wanted to go through the whole series again. And for some reason something about this always seemed to rub me the wrong way. Just never looked that good and I haven't heard really good things about it at all, even from diehard Sopranos fans. I figure I will watch it eventually, but its not a priority at all.
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Yeah, 100% agreed. I probably wouldn't have returned to The Sopranos if it weren't for this movie and how it changes the perspective of certain things.

But as a whole series, The Sopranos is just okay. It had some amazing seasons, but it also had dog shit seasons (that johnnycakes one is fucking horrible).

And fuck that ending. People try to defend it, but it's indefensible. Lazy as fuck.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I watched this last night because at 11:34pm I was looking for a good Halloween Horror movie to watch in bed, but saw that this was leaving HBO in 26 minutes. I wasn't sure if they'd let the stream continue if I started it before midnight, so I took a chance.

Overall, I liked it. I didn't really care about the Sopranos. I wish they'd spent more time with that generation and their story instead of trying to orbit it all around fat whiny baby Tony, but who cares.

I do disagree with the spoiler above, because it really is an origin story I thought. At least maybe the story right before the origin story? I would've loved it a lot more if Tony was nowhere in this. I don't give a shit about him being a whiny ass emo teen or a pudgy little shit running around.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Maybe saying it was an origin tease is more correct?

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Neon Maniac wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:15 pmAt least maybe the story right before the origin story?

This is fine, I guess. I wouldn't consider it an origin story simply because his uncle had far more screentime than Tony. If this were a true origin story, you'd think more attention would be spent on Tony and his interaction with his key crew. There was virtually none of his crew.

Yeah, this did a good job showing the influence his uncle had on Tony, but that's about it. There was some throwaway shit (like the teacher telling Tony's mom he's smart), but that felt a bit forced.
I would've loved it a lot more if Tony was nowhere in this. I don't give a shit about him being a whiny ass emo teen or a pudgy little shit running around.
Honestly, this would have made it a LOT better. But right now, it's trying to be an origin story for Tony and an origin story for Tony's uncle, and it doesn't succeed at either.

All that said, I want a Paulie Walnuts movie. He's my favorite.

And I'm glad you liked it. I really wanted to.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Alien Redrum wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:35 pm
This is fine, I guess. I wouldn't consider it an origin story simply because his uncle had far more screentime than Tony. If this were a true origin story, you'd think more attention would be spent on Tony and his interaction with his key crew. There was virtually none of his crew.

Yeah, this did a good job showing the influence his uncle had on Tony, but that's about it. There was some throwaway shit (like the teacher telling Tony's mom he's smart), but that felt a bit forced.
I would've loved it a lot more if Tony was nowhere in this. I don't give a shit about him being a whiny ass emo teen or a pudgy little shit running around.
Honestly, this would have made it a LOT better. But right now, it's trying to be an origin story for Tony and an origin story for Tony's uncle, and it doesn't succeed at either.

All that said, I want a Paulie Walnuts movie. He's my favorite.

And I'm glad you liked it. I really wanted to.
I think it wanted to be more than it actually was. I would've loved this to have had nothing to do with Tony. I've always hated Tony. And I know it's not a popular opinion, especially since he's dead, but I hate the actor.

On it's own, with everything that wasn't Tony, I thought it was an interesting story. I thought they kept trying to force the Tony plots. Nobody cares. Boohoo, poor little rich kid is basically how I saw all of that.

I agree with what you're saying, but I don't think his uncle had more screen time than Tony. Because even when Tony wasn't on screen, people were whining about him continually. He was a ghostly presence that ran through out the movie, which kinda ruined it. I think I ended up on origin teaser because I could see the next movie being the jump from highschool shit to gangster guy and that will be the true origin story.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I watched the first couple of eps and it's really just confirmed for me that I liked everyone else in the series, but I really hated Tony and the little shit Christopher. I would love to see Not The Sopranos with everyone but them.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

So, I have been streaming S1 episodes today out of curiosity. One curiosity is that the movie changed history. An expanded version of the story where Tony and his sister see their dad getting arrested at the amusement park is a flashback in one of the episodes. In the movie, the dad gets picked up on a warrant and goes to jail. In the show, he gets picked up for the parole violation of associating with losers and doesn't go to jail.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Neon Maniac wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:43 pm I watched the first couple of eps and it's really just confirmed for me that I liked everyone else in the series, but I really hated Tony and the little shit Christopher. I would love to see Not The Sopranos with everyone but them.
Yeah, I'm rewatching it again and I hate about everyone. I fast forward through anything involving AJ, Meadow, the psychiatrist.

I hate Christopher, AJ, and Tony's sidekick that's always scowling. He looks fucking ridiculous.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Paulie Walnuts is my favorite. I love that guy.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Who's Tony's sidekick that's always scowling? Little Steven? I like little Steven.

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Alien Redrum wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:35 pm All that said, I want a Paulie Walnuts movie. He's my favorite.
A coworker of mine used to have his car signed up with a production company that rents out cars for movies and TV shows. His car was used in an episode of Sopranos for running over someone :lol:. Sometimes if they are using your car they will loan you one of the cars that the production company owns. So for a couple days he was driving around in Paulie Walnuts' car from the earlier seasons. It was amazing when we all went down to look at it.
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Neon Maniac wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:50 am Who's Tony's sidekick that's always scowling? Little Steven? I like little Steven.
Yeah, him. Ugh. That dumb scowl is stupid. I would laugh if some tough guy came up to me scowling like that. (Until they pulled out their gun, then I'd wet my pants.)
shiki-jitsu wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:29 pm A coworker of mine used to have his car signed up with a production company that rents out cars for movies and TV shows. His car was used in an episode of Sopranos for running over someone :lol:. Sometimes if they are using your car they will loan you one of the cars that the production company owns. So for a couple days he was driving around in Paulie Walnuts' car from the earlier seasons. It was amazing when we all went down to look at it.
:eek: :spider: :spider: :spider: :spider: :eek: :eek: :lol: