2022 Halloween Horror Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

General horror discussion. Movies, DVDs, Blu-rays, TV, and Podcasts.
shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Re: 2022 Halloween Horror Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Post by shiki-jitsu »

I enjoyed the book, but haven't watched this yet. Plan to this week.
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed
Anti-Spam Question: No

Post by Alien Redrum »

I didn't review it but I did like it. The bodybuilder made the movie. :lol:
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Neon Maniac wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:41 am
Alien Redrum wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:44 am Should the Dahmer show count as horror? I just binged about the entire series over the past two days, but I know it's on the line.
personally I don't think it is, I think it's a biopic. But Netflix calls it horror, and per the rules of the challenge if you think it's horror then it is. So, you're the only one to judge.
Yeah. A bit torn on it. Like, it is uncomfortable in quite a few scenes, but i does dance that line.

I mean, realistically it's like Silence of the Lambs.

Meh, I'm not going to count it because I tend to lean towards what you think. And it's not like there's a prize.

I will count this documentary on Found Footage that I'm watching on Shudder, though. :lol:

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Alien Redrum wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:57 pm
Neon Maniac wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:41 am
Alien Redrum wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:44 am Should the Dahmer show count as horror? I just binged about the entire series over the past two days, but I know it's on the line.
personally I don't think it is, I think it's a biopic. But Netflix calls it horror, and per the rules of the challenge if you think it's horror then it is. So, you're the only one to judge.
Yeah. A bit torn on it. Like, it is uncomfortable in quite a few scenes, but i does dance that line.

I mean, realistically it's like Silence of the Lambs.

Meh, I'm not going to count it because I tend to lean towards what you think. And it's not like there's a prize.

I will count this documentary on Found Footage that I'm watching on Shudder, though. :lol:
I think most serial killer shows aren't horror though, which is why I say go with whatever you think since that's what's in the rules.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Oh, I hear you. Like, some I would count, but I was on the fence on this one. Like...Henry is loosely based on a serial killer, but is FAR more terrifying than Monster.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

The Found Footage Phenomenon

Hmmm. I didn't know what to expect, but this was okay. I wanted to see more history of it I think, but the majority of the doc concentrates on the more well-known found footage features.

Glad I watched it, but it's a missed opportunity.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Alien Redrum wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:13 pm Oh, I hear you. Like, some I would count, but I was on the fence on this one. Like...Henry is loosely based on a serial killer, but is FAR more terrifying than Monster.
This is my last comment on it.

Netflix has it tagged as horror. I checked out the John Wayne Gacy show I checked out the Ted Bundy show and some other one that popped up that was also True Crime. None of those were marked as Horror. But Dahmer is. I would use it as horror. And I might, so you should too.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

FINE. :lol:

Fair warning, it's about 4 episodes too long. :lol:

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

So, in case you didn't know ( :lol: ), I binged Dahmer - Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story this weekend. It's...meh. I mean, I enjoyed it (obviously on some level because I binged the whole thing), but it's really problematic. First, it takes a lot of liberties with the truth, and that bothers me. Is his story not fucked up enough the filmmakers couldn't tell the true story? Also, it's 10 episodes, which is about four too many. I was fast-forwarding through shit.

I'm glad I watched it, but I can't see me going back to it like I would with, say, Mindhunter. It's just...meh.

:2.5stars:

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Alien Redrum wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:49 pm So, in case you didn't know ( :lol: ), I binged Dahmer - Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story this weekend. It's...meh. I mean, I enjoyed it (obviously on some level because I binged the whole thing), but it's really problematic. First, it takes a lot of liberties with the truth, and that bothers me. Is his story not fucked up enough the filmmakers couldn't tell the true story? Also, it's 10 episodes, which is about four too many. I was fast-forwarding through shit.

I'm glad I watched it, but I can't see me going back to it like I would with, say, Mindhunter. It's just...meh.

:2.5stars:
I don't have high hopes for it, but then I also am not looking at it as true crime. In my mind this is very much a TV movie of the week biopic style series, meaning a lot of stuff is just tossed in because why not, and other stuff and people are amalgamated, and while it gives you a general gist of the whole thing you still really don't know anything about it, unless you knew absolutely nothing about it going in.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

That's pretty much exactly what it is.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Not out until the 28th, I managed to get an early look at Prime Video/Blumhouse's Run Sweetheart Run. Holy shit, this was a lot of fun. Do NOT watch the trailer, as the movie has a few great moments that would be ruined by it.

Side note, Ron, do you like Solar Opposites? I love that show.

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

:(
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Alien Redrum wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:23 pm
Side note, Ron, do you like Solar Opposites? I love that show.
Nope. Absolutely hate everything about it.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

:lol:

What about you, shiki? Seems like something you will like or hate vehemently. :lol: