Goldbergs

Anything else; TV, music, video games etc.
Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Anti-Spam Question: No

Re: Goldbergs

Post by Neon Maniac »

I've had Golden Palace on while I work today and I can see why it was canceled. At the time, I don't think it offered much and they'd lost Bea Arthur and added a black man and a Mexican man, so I'm sure the southern ladies that watched this show were quite upset and lost interest.

The show's not bad and I'm glad they all had a year of work. It's certainly better than The Goldbergs.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed

Post by Alien Redrum »

:lol:
...so I'm sure the southern ladies that watched this show were quite upset and lost interest.
:lol:

I don't doubt this. It was probably the confederate flag episode that did it in. :lol:
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I haven't made it to that episode yet, b7t it wouldn't surprise me.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I finished the series yesterday. I'd had it on this week for sound while I was working. It wasn't a bad show, but I think it started stronger than it finished.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Not going to lie, it was far better than I expected it to be for a spinoff of a show I was ho-hum about anyway.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Alien Redrum wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:44 pm Not going to lie, it was far better than I expected it to be for a spinoff of a show I was ho-hum about anyway.
True. I felt like it started strong, the writers really didn't know what to do with it or the characters (like they got rid of fake Joey Lawrence and he was never heard from again) and then relied on sitcom tropes to finish the season. I kept waiting for the episode where they mailed a mean letter they shouldn't have and tried to get it back.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I'm watching the current episode right now and... just kill it already. Please put this once decent show out of its misery.

I guess they couldn't figure out what to do with the singing waiter diner thing they were trying, because in the intro he gets burnt out on it. The show then returns back to his high school and after just having graduated and never gone to college, is now a teacher of some kind, putting on a play. Or something weird like that. I don't get it.

I've decided that this show is worth watching because every show is like a whole new show and you get to guess which reality is going to stick. :lol:

Jeff Garlin is the winner here, he got booted off the show just in time :lol:

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Oh, they want to fire him because he's incompetent. Who would've guessed?

The B plot is the JTP does their version of 3 men and a baby with Erica and jeff's baby.

I hate to say it, but maybe George Segal got out just in time too. :(

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

In the current amazing episode, Anthony Michael "Evil dies tonight" Dining Hall is trying to fuck Beverly. Keep in mind her husband died like a week ago, but that's okay I guess. Somehow Beverly is now a teacher at the school herself, which makes as much sense as Adam being a teacher at the school but WTF. He no longer works there and just sits around the house since his singing waiter at the diner story arc didn't work out. We still have no idea what happened to Judd Hirsch and his other son Murray's brother, because they haven't been seen since Erica had her baby and they were found to be too inconvenient to keep around, even though Judd Hirsch supposedly moved in with them. I guess he's off living with the other son now, I don't know. This entire show has just become a big jumbled mess of anything goes.

I think the actors who played Barry and Erica want to kill themselves just to make it stop.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Oh and another WTF. The B plot is Dave Kim writes a satire of the movie Amadeus and Adam plays the Salieri part. So let's just take a look at that. In the episode, Amadeus just won an Academy Award. That movie is from 1984. While I understand they just kind of mix things up in the '80s they seriously already lived through that when Adam was like 12. This would have been the first season at best. But let's skip that because this is the Land of Make-Believe right? Who in their right mind would do a show referencing a movie that is 38 years old? I understand it was a big movie in 1984 but how many people in 2022 have seen it in the last 30 years or even heard of it? It's not like Amadeus became a timeless classic. It's not Casablanca, it's not a Hitchcock film; it's one of those films that was awesome at the time but then the world moved on and forgot about it. I wouldn't expect anyone to remember the plot of the movie in 1995 let alone 2022.

Also Dave Kim goes to college in NYC, as do all of the other people in the movie he's going to make. But where do they decide to do the table read? Why in Adam Goldberg's dining room, in a Philadelphia suburb. Because that makes sense and is convenient for them all.

And in case you were wondering, yes they are filming this in Adam's basement for some reason, and Dave Kim is using Adam's old VCR to edit everything on. Because being a film student at NYU, apparently he's not allowed to use nyu's film equipment, even though he supposedly just won a contest about filmmaking from NYU where he pays money to learn about filmmaking and make films with their equipment. So instead of using professional cameras and sound and editing equipment provided to him by the college that he pays for, he's just doing it all on Adam's VHS recorder. Yeah.

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Neon Maniac wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:24 am It's not like Amadeus became a timeless classic. It's not Casablanca, it's not a Hitchcock film; it's one of those films that was awesome at the time but then the world moved on and forgot about it. I wouldn't expect anyone to remember the plot of the movie in 1995 let alone 2022.
Let's calm down, Amadeus is, was and always will be a classic. :mad:

Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

shiki-jitsu wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:56 am Let's calm down, Amadeus is, was and always will be a classic. :mad:

It hasn't been on a streaming service in the last 10 years. When was the last time you watched it? When was the last time you heard of anyone watching it? This is like you and Charlie Daniels all over again. We all know who F Murray Abraham is but how many people today know who Thomas Hulce was? And that is a huge emphasis on the word was.

:shake:

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

I KNOW WHO TOM HULCE IS :mad:

I have the DVD/Blu. I am still secretly hoping for a Criterion release (maybe in 2024 for the 40th? *crosses fingers*)

There was a rumored 4K restoration being done by them about a year ago, so yes... there are still some of us out there.
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

shiki-jitsu wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:27 am I KNOW WHO TOM HULCE IS :mad:

I have the DVD/Blu. I am still secretly hoping for a Criterion release (maybe in 2024 for the 40th? *crosses fingers*)

There was a rumored 4K restoration being done by them about a year ago, so yes... there are still some of us out there.
Yes. And you're all hoping for a DVD release that will never happen and spreading rumors about 4k restorations that will never happen. :lol:

How many of you watch The Goldbergs?