Give Me a Break

Anything else; TV, music, video games etc.
Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed
Anti-Spam Question: No

Give Me a Break

Post by Alien Redrum »

It's streaming on Tubi and I humbly request Neon gives it the Facts of Life treatment.
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Alien Redrum

Re: Give Me a Break

Post by Alien Redrum »

Jesus, this show is horrible. How the fuck did it last six seasons is beyond me. I couldn't even last six episodes with it on in the background.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I have nothing against Nell Carter. My main beef with that show was that it gave us Joey Lawrence. And the show is called, Gimme a Break! Not give me a break. Plus it had Telma Hopkins. I don't know why you think she could do anything wrong. I agree that the show gets extremely terrible once they move to New York. It's like it's a completely different show that they snuck in on us.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

:lol:

See, you already make this show better. :lol:

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

It has a lot of win in it. The guy who plays the cop who's always there and isn't the dad (he's the chief) is a british guy who came to the US in the 60's to work on sitcoms, and he's been in a million things. You'll see him as a store clerk on shows like bewitched or i dream of jeanie a lot.

The show was solid its first few seasons. It wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible. They really didn't know what to do with it though, and it became an endless parade of new people on the show and nothing really fit but they were able to keep the momentum. Then the guy who played the dad died in real life and they moved to NYC, who knows what happened to the daughters. And they had a parade of people coming in to that show too and it just became an entirely different show that made no sense.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

It was a bit surprising when dad popped the oldest daughter in the mouth in the first 10 minutes of the first episode. :lol:

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

OMG, he smacked the other daughter too at some point. :eek:

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Alien Redrum wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:26 pm It was a bit surprising when dad popped the oldest daughter in the mouth in the first 10 minutes of the first episode. :lol:
Yeah, right? :lol:

I think he does something similar to the middle daughter at some point too. I think the show kinda had weird energy due to things like that. Like when Jonathan Silverman shows up and marries the middle daughter there's a few fairly dark sitcom themes going on.

Edit:

hahahha I didn't see that you posted when he hits the 2nd daughter. There's a weird sex episode with the youngest daughter too. Not to mention I think it's Leif Garret who shows up and everyone thinks he fucked the middle daughter. They just had a lot of heavy shit going on in that show that didn't belong in a sitcom, I think.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

HOLY SHIT.

Okay, okay, maybe I'll keep watching.

I did notice they keep busting on the youngest daughter for not having boobs. It's so fucking weird. Like, y'all, she's 11. Stop.

And it's her sisters and Nell doing it. WTF man. :lol:

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Wait, now that I think about it, yeah, this can be very dark. In like the fifth episode the chief shoots (and kills!) someone. And they keep trying to make it funny. It's so weird. :lol:

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Yeah, everything in your last two posts is what I'm talking about. I think it just causes a really weird vibe in the show. Keep watching it it will take you to weird places. I wonder if the show's writers were trying to keep it real back then and this is as close as they got.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Every episode is a 'very special episode'. :lol:

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Except each one is a comedy :lol:

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

The family gets taken hostage at least one time also :lol:
Last edited by Neon Maniac on Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

NO! :lol: