[HDNA #6] - The Target H (The Penetrator Book 1) by Chet Cunningham

Books, comics etc. anything that's on a page and not moving.
Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Anti-Spam Question: No

Re: [HDNA #6] - The Target H (The Penetrator Book 1) by Chet Cunningham

Post by Neon Maniac »

Not sure if you've gotten to the character of the boxer, so putting this as a spoiler
Spoiler:
So, what's the deal with the boxer character? He's supposedly really stupid and doesn't realize Mark's paying him off to get info? He thinks it's some kind of boxing league paying him and asking him unrelated questions? Is that right?
And honestly, I don't think there's anything I could put in here that would be a spoiler :lol:

Have you been hit over the head with the clues as to who His Lordship is yet? I mean have you picked up on the subtle trail of clues that the author expertly wove into the storyline?
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed

Post by Alien Redrum »

:lol:

Not yet. I have about an hour left in the book and they've only mentioned Lord Romantic Comedy Fancy Pants once.

But my god, there is zero subtley. :lol:
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

OH! And the boxer. Jesus. Yes, they've mentioned him.

They also just mentioned some football player. :lol:

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Neon Maniac wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:56 pm :lol:

Yeah, those were killing me. I can see putting in one or two names like that for flavor, but every dang mobster has some nickname like that. Tutti and Frutti were over the top I thought. I liked Charlie the Horse, they should've just left that one there. Stan the man... lol. In further books I bet we get to meet Bob the Slob, Meatballs Marinara and Cha-Cha Chicharrons.

There's some things in this book like that, that make me wonder if this is bad satire or just bad writing :lol:
We need to start thinking of names for our villains.

Toodles Tom and Dynamite Dan.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Alien Redrum wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:15 pm OH! And the boxer. Jesus. Yes, they've mentioned him.

They also just mentioned some football player. :lol:
that football player is who broke Mark's back in college, and I hope this isn't a spoiler but it's going to turn out that he works for the mob and is a high up guy. He's totally not in this book other than Mark crying about him, but I think that's what keeps Mark motivated in the series to keep fighting the mafia. I'm not putting spoilers here because basically that's just my guess as to where things are going although they do say he's in the mafia I believe at the end of the book.

The boxer though, that was just kind of a weird bizarre scene with him talking to the bartender and then calling Mark's answering machine or whatever I don't really understand any of that BS. And a lot of the book is like that they have an idea I think and then just kind of gloss over it and don't go into it.
Last edited by Neon Maniac on Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Alien Redrum wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:24 pm
We need to start thinking of names for our villains.

Toodles Tom and Dynamite Dan.
I think Tom would just be called Road Rules, he would have a partner named Real World. And I'm just going to stick with Romcom Dan. I think that's a pretty badass name. I wouldn't be above calling him Cheeky Nando or the Archbishop of Banterbury though.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Neon Maniac wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:39 pmThe boxer though, that was just kind of a weird bizarre scene with him talking to the bartender and then calling Mark's answering machine or whatever I don't really understand any of that BS. And a lot of the book is like that they have an idea I think and then just kind of gloss over it and don't go into it.
OH THANK GOD.

I'm reading all of this answering service stuff and I had NO IDEA what the fuck was going on. None. So I just glossed over it as shitty writing.

I'm glad it through you too. Now I'm not so alone. :lol:
Neon Maniac wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:43 pmI think Tom would just be called Road Rules, he would have a partner named Real World. And I'm just going to stick with Romcom Dan. I think that's a pretty badass name. I wouldn't be above calling him Cheeky Nando or the Archbishop of Banterbury though.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Alien Redrum wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:32 pm

OH THANK GOD.

I'm reading all of this answering service stuff and I had NO IDEA what the fuck was going on. None. So I just glossed over it as shitty writing.

I'm glad it through you too. Now I'm not so alone. :lol:
Yeah, it was terrible writing. There are a few spots like that in the book :lol:

What I could figure out is that the boxer was an imbecile who everyone talked in front of. And somehow Mark figured that out. And Mark made up a boxing league that paid the boxer and he'd just get information from him and that was it, because the boxer was such an idiot he didn't find it strange that he'd never seen anyone from the boxing league that hired him and they asked him questions about the mafia. :lol:

I think this can go back to the whole idea of it being Bolan fan fiction. It was a decent idea, but they couldn't think of a realistic way to make it work, so they just ran with it in the simplest way possible.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

This motherfucker did not just put makeup on (from a kit he was CONVENIENTLY carrying) to look like a guy he just killed.

What the fuck. :lol:

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Yes, he did. And it worked!

I wonder if a disguise kit has ever worked in real life like it does in things like this? :lol:

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

He just rolled on in with his fancy just-applied-2-minutes-ago makeup. :rotfl:

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

It really works though. I read an article by Clark Kent that said subtle changes like glasses can change your look enough to fool even your closest friends.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

OMG the reporter just described mark as a large man carrying a big gun. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Neon Maniac wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:47 pm :lol:

It really works though. I read an article by Clark Kent that said subtle changes like glasses can change your look enough to fool even your closest friends.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

This is some low-rent shit, an I love it. :lol: