Raising Hope

Anything else; TV, music, video games etc.
Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed
Anti-Spam Question: No

Raising Hope

Post by Alien Redrum »

I just started this recently. I forgot it was by the guy who did My Name is Earl and it definitely has that same vibe.

However, has anyone watched this? While the parents on the show are absolutely hilarious (and the only reason to watch), the son is a rapey creep. It's uncomfortable how fucking creepy he is. For example, a good part of the first season or two is him really wanting to get with this girl, but she has a boyfriend. A boyfriend who she's quite happy with.

She gets drunk one night and I swear to Christ if she hadn't fallen asleep, he would have had sex with her even though she thought he was her boyfriend.

A lot of the antics in the show are him trying to get with this girl, and they are all rapey.

The parents, though, like I said, are hilarious—especially the dad.
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re: Raising Hope

Post by Neon Maniac »

Yeah, I saw the show years ago. I liked it, but like you said, mainly for the parents. Cloris Leachman has a few good ones in there too, over the course of the show. Earl people show up occasionally, but not until later seasons.

Everything about the son is rapey. I mean, look at why he has Hope. He's basically an incel. It gets better when they move past that, so keep watching. You still never like him, but his rape level goes way down.
Spoiler:
TBH, I think the grocery store girl is just begging for it by how she's dressed. And she laughs at his jokes so you know she wants him. She's totally a little whore putting it out there to tease him.

Not really :lol:
Spoiler:
The Mom's boss is the maid from The Mick, btw.
Spoiler:
If you want to watch another family sitcom that didn't last as long as it should've starring Martha Plimpton as the mom, check out The Real O'Neills, also on Hulu.
This show made me like Garret Dillahunt. He usually played assholes up until this show, and I couldn't stand him.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Cloris is hilarious. Especially when she's clear and is always like, "Why the fuck are you all in my house?"

Also, I'm glad you brought her up because I've been meaning to check something. The first season, she was not credited in the opening credits. Then like the second or third season, she was credited as "and introducing Cloris Leachman." I need to see why that is. :lol:

Man, you're so right about Garret Dillahunt. At the end of the day, he's the reason why I watch the show. He's so goddamn funny.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Aaah, okay. She wasn't a "regular" in the first season. Which makes no sense. She was in about every damn episode.

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a322 ... e-regular/

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I started watching the show again today :lol:

I've just had it on while I've been doing some stuff around the house. I think this started either at the end of Earl or right after it. It reminds me a lot of Earl in that I like everyone in it except for the main people. I absolutely hated Earl and his brother, like I hate the son here. But everyone else is hilarious. They take place in the same town and Earl people show up at some point and complain about their show being canceled.

Cloris is pretty good on the show and brings a lot of cringe comedy. You see a lot of her naked body through out the course of the show, if I remember right :lol:

The same guy who made this and Earl has a show on Freevee (Amazon Prime free w/ ads) called Sprung. It starts Garret Dillahunt and Martha Plimpton. Everyone in it is from one of his shows I think. I haven't watched it yet.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

I was thinking about your post last night as I was watching My Name is Earl. You're right. The side characters are the best. I pretty much only watch it for Joy. :lol:

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Yeah, Jason Lee and Ethan Suplee are fairly lame in this, I thought. The guy who makes these shows has another one on Hulu I haven't seen yet called The Guest Book. It's a comedy based on guest book stories he made up and left in cabins and b&b's to shock and frighten the next visitors there. It's all the same people he always uses too, or at least a lot of them.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Have you made it to the episode with Amy Sedaris, where we find out that:
Spoiler:
Burt literally fucked the scoliosis out of Virginia?
:lol:

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

:lol:

Yeah, Amy Sedaris is hilarious! Have you read any of her brother's books? He's funny as shit too.

AND OMG I love that idea of the guest book show. I need to start doing that. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Yeah, I've read a few of his books. Have you noticed that they have a lot of AMC Pacers on this show? :lol:

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

YES! :lol:

Soooooo I went to a David Sedaris book promo thing once, where he was to read from his book, do a little talk and sign his book. In one of his books, he's telling this story about him and his sister on the NY Subway. I can't remember the entire story, but the punchline was he yelled to her as she was getting off her stop, "Try not to get raped on your way home!"

My friend suggested I ask him to sign my book with that. I think she didn't think I would, but I did.

He was so fucking funny. He looked at me for a minute and says, "Oh, no. I can't do that. How about a nice turtle instead?" And he signed my book and drew a fucking turtle. :lol:

I love that guy. :lol:

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Alien Redrum wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:30 am

I love that guy. :lol:
He is great, but I love Amy more.
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Amy has nicer tits, that's for sure :up:

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

:shake: I can love them both equally and for different reasons. :mad:

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Alien Redrum wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:15 am :shake: I can love them both equally and for different reasons. :mad:
I agree, it's not a liking contest. Or maybe it is for them. I could see that. But like whoever's tits you like best, that's why we all have different kinds. :up: