Drunk History

Anything else; TV, music, video games etc.
Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed
Anti-Spam Question: No

Drunk History

Post by Alien Redrum »

I've watched a few episodes here and there over the years, but I'm recently really started getting into it. So many people I like show up in the reenactments.

Also, the one I watched last night had a piece of history done by the guy who plays Colin Robbinson and he acts just like his character. :lol:

But there are some interesting things I'm learning.
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re: Drunk History

Post by Neon Maniac »

I used to like the show, but it became a downer when I found out the host was an actual alcoholic who was barely in control of his life most of the time. Seeing him drunk just became sad :(
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

I'm not ignoring your reply, I've just been thinking about it.

Like, what a brilliant thing to do if you're an alcoholic. You incorporate it into your job and you then drink without judgment.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I think it's a bit more complicated than that. I believe he says that the show made him an alcoholic or at least having to drink that much did. Or maybe it kind of pushed him over the edge type of thing to where he couldn't have control anymore. That part really doesn't matter. He's talked about it openly it's just been a long time since I've listened or read any of it. I was just explaining why I don't watch it anymore, I'm not saying that you shouldn't. I come from a large family of alcoholics so it just depresses me to know about. It's not like he was like oh holy shit I have a drinking problem I need to end the show, it was more like I enjoy having a popular show and being on TV with a drinking problem than I did life without drinking.

I did enjoy it before I found that out though. There are some pretty good episodes.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Oh! He's better now. I was reading an article where he said he almost stopped doing the show because it got so bad. Now he says he only drinks when he's getting paid to drink.

I can't speak to the truth of that, but he says it's under control now.

I do like the show a lot. It makes history interesting for sure.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Alien Redrum wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:01 pm Oh! He's better now. I was reading an article where he said he almost stopped doing the show because it got so bad. Now he says he only drinks when he's getting paid to drink.
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Yeah, if only addiction actually worked that way. Things like this are why I stopped watching the show. It was really difficult for me to see someone publicly go through all of the stages of denial and addiction. It's like when other celebrities go into rehab and come back out saying they're "California sober," which means they've just traded substances to abuse. I no longer pound cocaine up my nose and drink a gallon of Jack Daniels everyday, I'm cured! I just drink beer and smoke weed, I'm all better! That is what is called delusional fantasy not sobriety. :lol:

All of this actually pisses me off because I liked the show it was hilarious. But for me, and I'm only saying this applies to me, not that it should apply to everybody, I just can't watch it. I have tried and all I can think about is him being an alcoholic. But yes some of the reenactments are hilarious.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Meh, I don't know his truth, so I don't assume. Addiction is weird. Like, I know people who will slam all sorts of drugs, then be all, "Okay, I'm done now." And I know people if they smell beer, they can't not drink it.

Like weed. I stop smoking often to let my tolerance down with zero issues. Others? Just like you said, "I'm cured of weed!" But now they switched it up with alcohol.

I come from a family of addicts, and while I have my own issues, alcohol and pot have never had any sort of effect on me. Everyone's different.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

You know what? I think you telling me he's an alcoholic is some Charlie Daniels shit. :mad:

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

No I'm pretty sure I think he's an alcoholic because he went on to a lot of podcasts talking about how he was an alcoholic :lol:

that would have been sometime around 2010 to 2015 because that was the last time I worked in an office and that would have been the last time I listened to podcasts at work. I liked his little story though because I heard my dad tell about 1,000 similar ones growing up. :lol:

This is hilarious and I only mentioned that so you don't think it's some kind of weird maudlin melancholy 80s movie BS: my dad only got into one drunk driving incident that I am aware of and he wasn't even drunk. He had just left the house on his way to work and two kids on motorcycles didn't see him coming and pulled out right in front of him and he plowed them down. He hadn't been drinking, it was the morning, and the accident was totally unavoidable. He was going probably 35-40 mph, these were two 15 year olds on dirt bikes who had no idea how to drive on the road and didn't look before pulling out. So the kids go in ambulances and the cops are there of course, and they're looking at my dad's car and start to notice all the smell of alcohol coming out of it, and this was the early '80s so they just arrested him on the spot no breathalyzer or anything like that. They were never able to prove it and the kids admitted that they pulled out without looking so he was let go and it never went to court.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

So I'm googling trying to find anything about him admitting he was an alcoholic, and I think it's all been internet white washed, I'm not joking :lol:

The first thing that pops up is him saying he's not when you search for it. :lol:

I think there's some Mandela Effect thing going on here, or maybe it's a liberal conspiracy. But at the time that it happened, this was kind of a big thing.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Neon Maniac wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:06 amI think there's some Mandela Effect thing going on here, or maybe it's a liberal conspiracy. But at the time that it happened, this was kind of a big thing.
Dead. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And honestly, I fucking hate assholes on motorcycles. I was coming home one night and this biker was in the left lane, but there was no one in front of him, and he was pacing the car beside him. I flashed my lights and he did what every asshole does, he slowed down.

So I got in the middle lane to pass him, but he sped him and started pacing the car again.

FINALLY, I got an opportunity and zipped over the far rigth lane, passed the car in the middle lane, and made it over to the left lane in front of a car that was in front of the motorcycle.

I lauged and laughed, and then he's coming up on my right, so I sped up and had it just so he couldn't get in front of me. He started edging closer to my car, like he was going to hit it. And I busted out laughing and started mouthing DO IT. DO IT. DO IT. Like, what a fucking idiot? I'm in a cage, as those dumb fucks* so often claim. Did he honestly think anything would happen to me?

He finally slowed down and the got behind me and tailgated me (?!?!?) for a little bit. I mean, honestly, how the fuck did he think that was intimidating? :lol:

*For clarity, I don't think all motorcycle people are assholes. Just the ones that drive like dipshits. I don't mind bikers. I even move my car over some in traffic so they can cruise up the middle lane. More power to them.

Bicyclists, however, are assholes. Especially city ones. And the ones that ride their dumb bikes on backroads and you can't get around them because there's no shoulder. Fucking assholes. Go the park. :mad:

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

This is going to drive me crazy, because this was kind of a scandal at the time, and now there's no info about it. But oddly there's a lot of info about him not being an alcoholic. And that's the reason I say it was some kind of whitewash. Comedy Central has done similar anti-info campaigns where a shit ton of articles are removed from being online, mainly due to South Park, so I'm going to just believe that's what's going on here. Because if it was never an issue, there wouldn't be 100000000000000 pages about him not having a drinking problem.

And as a cyclist, nobody gives a fuck and about you being inconvenienced. Go drive your car at a race track. Because that's the exact same logic when you tell someone to ride their bike at a park.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

:lol:

Bullshit. If I'm on a back country road and the speed limit is 35, and I'm stuck behind some cyclist going 15 and can't get around him because of turns and/or traffic, fuck that bicyclist and his stupid racing outfit. If you're biking on a narrow two-lane road yeah, fuck right off into the sea and I have no sympathy if you're run off into the woods. :lol:

Now, if I was on a bike path going slow and there was a backup of bikes behind me, yeah, I need to go to the goddamn race track because I'm a fucking asshole. :lol:

Also, I do pray messengers in the city who follow no rules of the road and act as if they own them get hit by cars. Often. Dicks.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Yeah, none of that logically makes sense unless you're trying to be willfully ignorant though. You're assuming everyone can afford a car and insurance, and that every bike ride is recreation. None of that is remotely true. If you're being inconvenienced by bikes your anger is misplaced at the biker, and instead you should be mad at the city/county that maintains that road and doesn't provide lane management to make it safe for both of you instead of none of you, which it is now.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »