The Guest Book

Anything else; TV, music, video games etc.
Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Anti-Spam Question: No

The Guest Book

Post by Neon Maniac »

This show was mentioned in the Charlie Daniels/Raising Hope thread but it deserves its own place. In case you don't remember, this was another show made by the guy who did Earl and Hope, among others. I started watching this today because I noticed that it's leaving Hulu in 8 days (What kind of BS is that?!?!?)

Anyway, this show is great. Another complex cast of characters. Each episode is a Guest Book entry on what happened during someone's vacation. It's got a lot of the regulars he uses. This isn't entirely correct, but it is kind of correct; it's like you take all the people of Natesville (where Earl and Hope are) and make a show where new people come to visit them each week. Because that's kind of what it is, you've got everyone at the cabins and nearby town, then you have people visiting the cabins on their trip.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Re: The Guest Book

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Oh wow, totally forgot about this show. I saw a good amount of Season 1. Didn't even realize there was as Season 2.
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

If you have Hulu you have eight days to enjoy season 2. I hope I can get all the series in before it goes away. I also hope that it's going away because they're coming out with the third season.

Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed
Services No Longer Needed

Post by Alien Redrum »

Just watched the first episode last night and dug it. (It was the one with the guy with the real asshole wife. But he was an asshole too. They deserved each other.) :lol:
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I started watching the other show, Sprung on Prime/Freevee. It's hilarious and I recommend it. Not going to put any spoilers. It takes place during 2020 and it's about prisoners who got early prison release due to covid. Garret Dillahunt and his cellmate and a female prisoner end up living with the cellmate's Mom, who is Martha Plimpton, and they begin planning heists to earn money since nobody can work due to the quarantines. I think this was just a 1 season thing, but I'm not sure. It's another series with great characters.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Oh, and if you watch Sprung, watch each episode to the very end. You'll think you're seeing the ending and credits are going, but after the credits and the Production Co. Slides they do a 'On next week's episode' preview in the style of a heavy crime drama.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

If you're not able to get all of S2 in before it goes away, but you saw the Michael Rapaport episode in S1, at least try to watch S2 E3, it's kind of a second parter to the original. And it's awesome.

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

I started season 1 over lol, going to try and binge it all by tomorrow
Letterboxd

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

And holy shit just watched the Alzheimer’s episode…. Wow did not remember all of the…colorful…language in this episode.
Letterboxd

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I got through it all. Overall I liked it but I think I like season 1 better than season 2, mainly because I like the setting of The Mountain better than the beach. It's too bad there was no season 3 because it looks like they were set up to go back to the mountain.

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

I literally fell asleep on the second rappaport episode, so didn't finish that one, nor the rest of S2. I think its still on Freevee though.

Season 1 was definitely better. Setting was better, and I liked the cast more. Its weird to me that they brought through those two characters.
Letterboxd

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

shiki-jitsu wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 6:14 pm I literally fell asleep on the second rappaport episode, so didn't finish that one, nor the rest of S2. I think its still on Freevee though.
The 2nd season was fairly crappy overall, I thought. At least compared to the first one. I didn't like some of the people in this one, especially the van guy. I'm not sure why he's in anything, because he mainly plays the exact same character but in different situations. In Modern Family he was a dumb but hunky fireman. In Home Economics he's a dumb but hunky billionaire somehow, and here he's a dumb but hunky beach bum handyman. I can't stand him. He's a discount store himbo.
Spoiler:
the 2nd Rappaport episode was probably the best episode of that season, or maybe the final one. Rapaport beats his OCD by becoming a drag queen, but really more of a transvestite. He does a great musical number though. But his family doesn't accept him dressing like a woman so he chooses to go back to OCD. It's a really odd and effed up episode

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

Wow. That is not at all where I expected it to go!! :lol: I will need to track it down now....

And yes, only streaming on Freevee right now: https://www.justwatch.com/us/tv-show/the-guest-book
Letterboxd

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

shiki-jitsu wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:10 pm Wow. That is not at all where I expected it to go!! :lol: I will need to track it down now....
Did you end up watching it? That episode was very odd. :lol: At first I thought he was drag queen, but then he's actually a transvestite, but he certainly want' trans, he was just about the clothes ala Ed Wood and others. It was just a very odd episode :lol:

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

No, I read your spoiler. I'm going to watch it though.
Letterboxd