Kolchak

Anything else; TV, music, video games etc.
Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Anti-Spam Question: No

Kolchak

Post by Neon Maniac »

I'm watching S1E1 of Kolchak again, and it's shot just like the TV movies and it's as lurid as the TV movies, with massage parlor murders and all that. I wish they'd kept that grit going. Don't get me wrong, I like the series, but it became fairly goofy after a couple of episodes and lost all of the grit that was great about the movies. Just an observation.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed

Re: Kolchak

Post by Alien Redrum »

Sorry! I've been meaning to reply to this.

I agree wholeheartedly. The two movies had a really dark undertone about them that the TV series never quite captured. Still love the series though, and I'm long overdue for a rewatch.

NGL, I'd TOTALLY invite a remake of Kolchak. Preferably on HBO or the likes. Let it just be wild and violent.
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I don't think that it was that they were unable to capture the grit and feel, S1E1 does a great job of that. I think the network wanted it watered down and more family friendly so it became a monster of the week show. It streams on Peacock for free, btw. I watched S1E2 the other day, and you could see the slow decline. It had it's elements, but they became a little less serious.

There already was a Kolchak remake and it failed miserably.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460665/

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

I actually liked the Kolchak remake. It took some episodes to find its footing, but I was all in once it did. They never gave it a fair shot (the fans and the network it was on).

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

I couldn't stand anyone in it aside from Gabrielle Union. And where was the straw hat? :shake:

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

:lol:

If I had one major issue with it, it was I didn't like who they chose for Kolchak. I wanted someone older and more bitter. That was Kolchak's appeal. He was experienced and just disenchanted but still respected the work. In the new series, he didn't have that...I don't know. Something was missing. I think they were finding it, but then decided to not care about MY feelings about the show and cancelled it.

I remember being legit bummed about it because it was starting to get good.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Oh, sweet! Someone put them on Youtube.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Alien Redrum wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:58 pm :lol:

If I had one major issue with it, it was I didn't like who they chose for Kolchak. I wanted someone older and more bitter. That was Kolchak's appeal. He was experienced and just disenchanted but still respected the work. In the new series, he didn't have that...I don't know. Something was missing. I think they were finding it, but then decided to not care about MY feelings about the show and cancelled it.

I remember being legit bummed about it because it was starting to get good.
Everything about the show was off. They took what had started to become a cult character and decided to "update it". This happened ALL THE FUCKING TIME in the early 00's and it ruined most everything with few exceptions. This was Millennial Kolchak, who had zero life experience, zero personality, zero knowledge and thought he was always right and knew everything. He was entitled about everything on the show.

Millennials don't understand how much they destroyed franchises in the early 00's. Like this Kolchak, they had no life experience and needed to have solid relatable reasons for everything, even though in real life things don't have solid relatable reasons. I've said this for the last 20 years and have been right every time, like the innerworkings of a freshly tuned air conditioner.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

:lol:

I still liked it. But I agree with a lot of what you say.

Man, I would love another reboot, directed by Fincher or the guy who did True Detective. Holy shit that would be great.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

A season of True Detective with Kolchak would be awesome

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

I'm kind of pissed that that thought went in my head because now I can't stop thinking about how amazing it would be. :lol:

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Alien Redrum wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:04 pm I'm kind of pissed that that thought went in my head because now I can't stop thinking about how amazing it would be. :lol:
Me too.

And I know at some point I'm going to break down and watch it on YouTube since you posted the link. Why doesn't anyone post tales of the gold monkey? I would love to watch that show.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

I can't help you with the order, and some appear to be in Spanish, but...

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... %253D%253D

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Neon Maniac »

Alien Redrum wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:35 am I can't help you with the order, and some appear to be in Spanish, but...

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... %253D%253D
That's so nice, thank you.

In August when I talk about having an orange sky, what you may be experiencing is exactly what I'm talking about. It's every fire season here now. I bet there too.

Alien Redrum

Post by Alien Redrum »

Just watched the first movie in prep for the series. Man, I forgot how bad those motherfuckers fucked Kolchak at the end. Goddamn honkies.