DISTRICT 9

If it's not horror, this is the place!
chuk hell
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

DISTRICT 9

Post by chuk hell »

Ya'll need to haul your lazy asses to a theatre and see this pronto. It kicks all kind of ass.

Best movie of the year for me.

Sham
Ex-Closet Monkey
Ex-Closet Monkey

Re: DISTRICT 9

Post by Sham »

:clap:

Agreed. Loved it.

kangas
Emerging from the grave.
Emerging from the grave.

Post by kangas »

Didn't live up to the hype for me. Extremely impressive for a $30 million dollar movie, but storywise it didn't really blow me away, and there sure seemed to be a lot of holes in the story.
-K
http://www.kangaskahnfilms.com/blogs.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

walls
Wallsbot
Wallsbot
Anti-Spam Question: No

Post by walls »

After the abomination that was King Kong (yes after a rewatch it sucks balls) I wont dish out my cash for anything with Peter Jacksons name on it.

Of course I will most likely end up with the DVD. :lol:

Alien Redrum
Services No Longer Needed
Services No Longer Needed

Post by Alien Redrum »

You know Jackson did The Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Frighteners and Braindead, too, right?
Follow Horror DNA on Twitter.

I'm thinking I might make one to keep in the trunk of the car though. Might be nice to have hot water if I ever have to watch a Matthews compound for 3-4 days hoping to get the drop on Sergio Frenchi. - Neon Bolan

walls
Wallsbot
Wallsbot

Post by walls »

LoTR's, yeah WAAAAAYYYYYY TOOOOOO LOOOOONNNNGGGG for me!! Loved everything that DIDNT have to do with that fucking FRODO, if it werent for him the movies would have been shorter and they would have ROCKED. Little cocksucker could have thrown the fucking ring in the fireplace and ended the movie in about 20 minutes. :lol:

Ill give you Frighteners, kicked ass all the way around.

Braindead.......still havent seen it.

But like I said after what the bastard did to Kong.......he aint gettin' my boxoffice money. DVD money, sure, but box office, no way.

I hear (read) that he may be on the helm for the Star Wars re-makes, NO FUCKING THANKS.

Sham
Ex-Closet Monkey
Ex-Closet Monkey

Post by Sham »

kangas wrote:Didn't live up to the hype for me. Extremely impressive for a $30 million dollar movie, but storywise it didn't really blow me away, and there sure seemed to be a lot of holes in the story.
Not to sound like an ass, but could you explain to me what holes there were in the story? I don't remember any.

K'
More braaaaiiiiins!
More braaaaiiiiins!

Post by K' »

Sham wrote:
kangas wrote:Didn't live up to the hype for me. Extremely impressive for a $30 million dollar movie, but storywise it didn't really blow me away, and there sure seemed to be a lot of holes in the story.
Not to sound like an ass, but could you explain to me what holes there were in the story? I don't remember any.
Spoiler:
They need twenty years to distill enough fuel for their ship, to return to their home planet. A fair amount they distilled gets sprayed on Wickus, triggering his metamorphosis. Yet nobody involved seemed worried that there might not be enough to return to the prawn homeworld.
The film was big hit at the Fantasy Film fest this year. I thought it was OK, but nothing that merits all the praise people give it. Big white scaly n' shaky hype for sure.
I don't want to be beheaded on the internet.
- Jeremy Clarkson

Blonde
Sexy Robot
Sexy Robot

Post by Blonde »

Sham wrote:Not to sound like an ass, but could you explain to me what holes there were in the story? I don't remember any.
My favorite was:
Spoiler:
They crash the ship that's supposed to get them to the mothership but lo, there's a beam onboard the mothership that can just take them straight up. Not just that, the immobile ship can now be piloted remotely into position by a small child thing. Why not just do that to begin with and spare the trouble of getting the fuel?
Overall I thought the movie was good, but not for much more than an action flick. I counted a lot more plotholes that really bothered me throughout the movie though. And I hate to agree with Kangas.
Everything in the casa is mi casa su casa. Except for the tortugas. Hands off.

kangas
Emerging from the grave.
Emerging from the grave.

Post by kangas »

Besides those, the brainiac alien has been doing nothing but digging in dirt looking for fuel when he clearly is not one of the idiot workers--he knows how to use the weaponry that he can clearly get access to, but he doesn't? (cause he kicked all kinds of ass as soon as he got a rifle in his hand)

When the main guy goes back to the base to get the fuel they haven't changed any access codes, even though they know he's at large?

There was like five other minor things but I don't remember exactly what they were. But they were big enough that while I was watching the movie I questioned them.
-K
http://www.kangaskahnfilms.com/blogs.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Blonde
Sexy Robot
Sexy Robot

Post by Blonde »

We should just change this to a spoiler thread.
kangas wrote:Besides those, the brainiac alien has been doing nothing but digging in dirt looking for fuel when he clearly is not one of the idiot workers--he knows how to use the weaponry that he can clearly get access to, but he doesn't? (cause he kicked all kinds of ass as soon as he got a rifle in his hand)
ZOMG how are they supposed to use weapons if they sold them to the Nigerians?!? (I'll give them the cat food thing - that was funny).

I like how there was not one line of dialogue explaining why their fuel completely alters your DNA when it touches your skin. Everyone just seemed to accept it as a fact of life.

Ugh. Too much lazy writing went into this movie.

chuk hell
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by chuk hell »

One of the things I LIKED about was that every little thing was not explained.

The Hitman
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by The Hitman »

I was going to go see it the day M went into labor.

Needless to say, I'll have to wait for the DVD. :(
Retired reviewer

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

She did that on purpose you know.
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

Blonde
Sexy Robot
Sexy Robot

Post by Blonde »

chuk hell wrote:One of the things I LIKED about was that every little thing was not explained.
There's a difference between leaving things to the imagination and lazy writing. There were definitely examples of both in the movie, but I thought it was heavy on the latter.