Blue Velvet

If it's not horror, this is the place!
damnationdoormat
More braaaaiiiiins!
More braaaaiiiiins!

Blue Velvet

Post by damnationdoormat »

Just saw it for the first time and while I can see the quality and "get it", I don't see why so many fall all over it.

What am I missing? :shrug:

LivingDeadGirl
Shuffling Flesh Eater
Shuffling Flesh Eater

Re: Blue Velvet

Post by LivingDeadGirl »

Is that the one with the weird scene where one guy is hiding in this woman's apartment and Dennis Hopper comes along and he's getting high off something from a tank?

If so, I got bored and changed the channel when I saw it on TV once.
Everything I love about horror can be found on MY TUMBLR.

Neon Maniac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Anti-Spam Question: No

Post by Neon Maniac »

People fall over it because it's David Lynch. I don't think you're missing anything, DDM.
:facts:

Because AR doesn't take my posts seriously

damnationdoormat
More braaaaiiiiins!
More braaaaiiiiins!

Post by damnationdoormat »

Neon Maniac wrote:People fall over it because it's David Lynch. I don't think you're missing anything, DDM.
Well, I don't hate the films (including Twin Peaks) I've seen of his, but the whole thing seemed to lack the "Lynchian" weirdness of his other stuff. Everything that was "otherworldly" seemed forced. Otherwise, it was pretty coherent and well made, but as some say a "masterpiece"--no way. Also whenever Hopper was acting batshit crazy all I saw was Dennis Hopper acting batshit crazy, it doesn't seem to take much just to scream four or five word phrases with "FUCKKKKKK" in every one of them. His character sucked and wasn't nuanced at all, again despite what seems like many people thinking he was one of the baddest mofo movie characters of all time.

shiki-jitsu
Horror DNA Hardcore
Horror DNA Hardcore

Post by shiki-jitsu »

damnationdoormat wrote:Well, I don't hate the films (including Twin Peaks) I've seen of his, but the whole thing seemed to lack the "Lynchian" weirdness of his other stuff.
This is one of the reasons I like this movie. While it's still "Lynchian" it isn't completely over the top with his stupid weirdness. I like most of Lynch's movies, but I don't blow him and 90% of the time I think he is completely full of shit. Weird for weirdness' sake doesn't make you an artist.
damnationdoormat wrote: Also whenever Hopper was acting batshit crazy all I saw was Dennis Hopper acting batshit crazy, it doesn't seem to take much just to scream four or five word phrases with "FUCKKKKKK" in every one of them. His character sucked and wasn't nuanced at all, again despite what seems like many people thinking he was one of the baddest mofo movie characters of all time.
This might just be looking back at the character from now and the caricature Dennis Hopper has become of himself. It's the same as someone seeing an over the top (but decent) role of Pacino's now where he talks loud and has a bad wig on. At the time it worked, it might not now. I blame that more on Hopper than Lynch though.
Letterboxd

"Ghost hunters are the romance novels of tv" - Neon Maniac

chuk hell
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by chuk hell »

:jack:

Great movie. If you'd seen it in a theatre back in the 80s like I did it might have more of an impact.

The Hitman
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by The Hitman »

I was three posts in, wondering why nothing made sense, when I realized the movie I was thinking of was "Blue Lagoon."
Retired reviewer

Mairosu
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Mairosu »

Blue Velvet is one of the rare movies I saw which constantly kept me on the edge. Granted, Dennis Hopper is 95% of the whole film, but when he's on - he's fucking on. When he started abusing poor ol' agent Cooper I literally felt the creeps - movie got me wondering what kind of atrocity is he gonna pull next ?!

Fav. part : Hopper yeling at McLachlan for liking Heineken.

And I'm not a Lynch fan in the slightest. I personally detest his post-Twin Peaks stuff, but Elephant Man, Dune (yes, Dune) and Blue Velvet are pretty OK in my books.